Forums

An update and some clarification on Tweetie 2 for Mac

MacHeist Forums » The Front » An update and some clarification on Tweetie 2 for Mac
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

So in the past few days, there's been a lot of buzz over the future of Tweetie for Mac and the exclusive beta access of Tweetie 2 for people who purchased our most recent nanoBundle. This has mostly been fueled by a tweet by Twitter founder Evan Williams {@ev):

@chris24 Tweetie for Mac is not something we're actively investing in at this time. #AskEv

This was a response to a tweet by Chris Thomson (@chris24):

@ev Is Tweetie/Twitter for Mac dead? #askev

Ev's tweet even took me by a bit of a surprise because we've been in contact with Loren Brichter (@lorenb), developer of Tweetie, ever since the bundle happened and even though Twitter has acquired his company, Atebits, he's still been working on Tweetie 2 for Mac. If you carefully read Ev's tweet, you'll see that he was careful with the language and "not something we're actively investing in" doesn't at all mean that the app is in any way dead. In fact, we've confirmed with Loren that it's alive and well and he's still progressing on Tweetie 2, even though with the acquisition and his new responsibilities, it's taking longer than he originally anticipated. It's also worth noting that he's added another developer to help him move things along.

We know that many of you are growing impatient for it, and I can understand that. Tweetie's widely regarded as the best Twitter app by far. Why is that? Mainly because Loren's been so meticulous with every aspect of it and I'm sure that Tweetie 2 for Mac will be no exception. Rushing it won't serve anyone well. So, please sit tight while Loren works hard to get you your favorite Twitter app as soon as he's able to. I'm sure you won't be a bit disappointed when you finally get your hands on the app.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

October 19, 2010 8:34 pm

jamisonprawn

Urchin

1 posts

Cheers for the update!

October 19, 2010 8:40 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Thanks for the clarification; I'm definitely looking forward to it.  Tweetie 1, while a bit long in the tooth, is still a great client; I can't wait to see what 2 will be like.  (Well, I guess I can wait, technically).  smile

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

l3gion

Urchin

2 posts

Thanks for the thumbs up! Being waiting for it since I've bought nanobundle. big_smile

claylevering

claylevering

Urchin

from Santa Barbara, Ca
2 posts

John,

By no means am I upset with the MacHeist bundle, the other apps have served me well every time I have used them.  But let me be clear: 

Tweetie 2 for Mac Beta access was the *Reason* I bought this bundle.  And it's not here.  That's pretty disingenuous, even if it's not from you guys.

-Clay

ne0

ne0

Automaton Tech

from 127.0.0.1
328 posts

Well its good to know he is well but we've yet to see it and with the new twitter being so slick - I think I will just stick with that and Fluid.

When it comes out I will give it another chance though and thanks to Loren for keeping development going despite being bought out

Team Orange!
twitter | digg | site

October 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Gruni

Urchin

1 posts

Thank you, John!

October 19, 2010 8:42 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

claylevering wrote:

John,

By no means am I upset with the MacHeist bundle, the other apps have served me well every time I have used them.  But let me be clear: 

Tweetie 2 for Mac Beta access was the *Reason* I bought this bundle.  And it's not here.  That's pretty disingenuous, even if it's not from you guys.

-Clay

Might I recommend you bring it up to atebits yourself? The Directorate are cuffed at this time and can't really do anything.

Website | Twitter

October 19, 2010 8:43 pm

TyagoNeres

Urchin

1 posts

Thanks for the update!

juliahoneyman

juliahoneyman

Tinkerer

18 posts

Great to hear! There are so many things I love about Tweetie, but the lack of updates has made me consider switching.

Switz213

Switz213

Automaton Tech

from Philly - Born and raised
114 posts

Thanks for the update.

LETS GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!

October 19, 2010 8:44 pm
Ibutsu

Ibutsu

Urchin

from Belfast, United Kingdom
1 posts

Cheers for the update.

October 19, 2010 8:45 pm
PiratX

PiratX

Automaton Tech

from Athens, Greece
215 posts

Lovely news johnred! I hope this one doesnt use limit 5 minutes for the refresh of the timeline as well! Thumbs up! big_smile

Green Monkeys™
Twitter - Get Dropbox smile - Droplr

October 19, 2010 8:45 pm
tulgrndr

tulgrndr

Urchin

1 posts

Glad to here it! Tweetie is still the best client out there.

October 19, 2010 8:46 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

With Kiwi going so far, and a new version of that in Beta, I'd completely forgotten about Tweetie 2 to be honest.

Hope it comes for those that do want it.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

October 19, 2010 8:46 pm

jvdmeulen

Urchin

3 posts

Nice to read about the update, i just hope that there will be a (long) beta period (not a week or so)
thanks

October 19, 2010 8:47 pm
claylevering

claylevering

Urchin

from Santa Barbara, Ca
2 posts

Warbrain wrote:
claylevering wrote:

John,

-Clay

Might I recommend you bring it up to Atebitsyourself? The Directorate are cuffed at this time and can't really do anything.

I have, and will continue to as I use Tweetie for business reasons and unfortunately it no longer keeps up with other apps (like Socialite) - it's just unfortunate.  I didn't purchase product from Atebits, I purchased products from MacHeist.

October 19, 2010 8:48 pm
jasarien

jasarien

Tinkerer

from London, UK
12 posts

And what about MacHeist 4?

Quilly for president.

October 19, 2010 8:48 pm

chakane048

Urchin

2 posts

Rushing? I think it has been starting working it long long time ago.....
Just compare it with the Twitter Client YoruFukurou, I am not feeling bad about constant update yet a beta version of Tweetie is still not here.

BTW, Thanks for this update

October 19, 2010 8:49 pm

SpookyLurker

Urchin

from Great White North
1 posts

I noticed you're the TapTapTap 'chief'.. what's the status on Camera+?
I wish I had got it before Apple yanked it off iTunes.

I lurk.. a lot. MacHeist's limitations on ava's suck! That is all. smile

nicknyhk

Urchin

1 posts

Glad to see that something is actually being done..tweetie really is a great app but i just wish for perhaps a little love for us chrome users by tweetie..

lazyrussian

Urchin

1 posts

Thank you for the update.
I've been using Nambu as my default client while I wait for my Tweetie 2 beta access.

October 19, 2010 8:52 pm
adrinux

adrinux

Urchin

4 posts

We don't have that much choice smile

My testing today:
YoruFukurou - has the features but a cluttered UI.
Nambu - full featured (support for lists) but way too beta. I clicked reply, nothing happened.
Twitteriffic - I used that before tweetie, but going back again was horrible. The UI just doesn't seem to follow mac conventions, though it's pretty enough.
Hibari - this is the closest so far to tweetie, and a few extra features. Price is nice, but when you already have registered versions of Twitteriffic and Tweetie...

But the lack of transparency from Atebits/Twitter/Loren does not inspire confidence. Think I'll go register Hibari.

October 19, 2010 8:52 pm
Hedi

Hedi

Urchin

6 posts

Thanks for the information

http://macamour.com/blog/

October 19, 2010 8:54 pm
skajeff

skajeff

Urchin

3 posts

Thanks for the update.  Now if Atebits released some sort of updated statement, I would be throughly excited.

October 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Jon Alper

Urchin

3 posts

I have learned years ago, the hard way, to the tune of hundreds of thousands in employers' money (all could have and should have sued, some did, those who did, won) never again to pay for any promised new version or feature. You buy something for what it does when you buy it.  I would urge the 'Directorate' never again to sell anything that's a 'promise' again.

As to customers? I'd call this an absurdly inexpensive lesson in what 'vaporware' is. Until Tweetie 2 ships? It's just so much Duke Nukem Forever.

October 19, 2010 9:01 pm

trafnar

Urchin

1 posts

adrinux - give Echofon for mac a try

October 19, 2010 9:01 pm

GordLacey

Urchin

3 posts

Wow, this was an informative post! Not only did we discover Tweetie 2 is still being worked on (yippee!!), but John Casasanta is alive (also yippee)! Maybe one day he'll update the TapTapTap blog...

October 19, 2010 9:15 pm
capt_carl

capt_carl

Tinkerer

from Huntington, NY
48 posts

Loren said it himself, "it's not not happening."

http://twitter.com/lorenb/status/27358331535

October 19, 2010 9:25 pm
adrinux

adrinux

Urchin

4 posts

We have more choice than I thought big_smile

Echofon...too late, I just registered Kiwi. Echofon looks a bit too white, definitely has the feature set and minimalism though.

October 19, 2010 9:30 pm
conigs

conigs

Urchin

2 posts

adrinux wrote:

We don't have that much choice smile

My testing today:
YoruFukurou - has the features but a cluttered UI.
Nambu - full featured (support for lists) but way too beta. I clicked reply, nothing happened.
Twitteriffic - I used that before tweetie, but going back again was horrible. The UI just doesn't seem to follow mac conventions, though it's pretty enough.
Hibari - this is the closest so far to tweetie, and a few extra features. Price is nice, but when you already have registered versions of Twitteriffic and Tweetie...

But the lack of transparency from Atebits/Twitter/Loren does not inspire confidence. Think I'll go register Hibari.

I'd suggest Echofon in the mean time, at least. It's serving me well and I love that it syncs the timeline between multiple clients (desktop & mobile).

(Have no affiliation with the company, just switched to it after Tweete 2 for Mac was a no show.)

October 19, 2010 9:47 pm

GordLacey

Urchin

3 posts

Wow, John, pretty harsh considering I'm one of your customers (multiple times), and I honestly wondered what had happened. It was said partially jokingly, but I certainly didn't expect a response like that. I am honestly happy to know you're still "out there," as this is the first time I've seen you say something in public since the last taptaptap posting (while I lurk in the forums, I don't come around that often).

October 19, 2010 9:48 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Hibari would be a good choice if it had multiple account support.

Website | Twitter

October 19, 2010 9:49 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

GordLacey wrote:

Wow, John, pretty harsh considering I'm one of your customers (multiple times), and I honestly wondered what had happened. It was said partially jokingly, but I certainly didn't expect a response like that. I am honestly happy to know you're still "out there," as this is the first time I've seen you say something in public since the last taptaptap posting (while I lurk in the forums, I don't come around that often).

I think John realized that after he posted and deleted it… don't worry about it smile

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

October 19, 2010 9:52 pm
capt_carl

capt_carl

Tinkerer

from Huntington, NY
48 posts

Jon Alper wrote:

Until Tweetie 2 ships? It's just so much Duke Nukem Forever.

You do know DNF is coming out in early 2011 (for real), right?

October 19, 2010 9:53 pm

GordLacey

Urchin

3 posts

Phill, whether he deleted it or not, I saw his response, and I was shocked that he'd be telling a customer to "go fuck yourself," when I said absolutely nothing to warrant the response. If he wants to contact me off the boards, he can use the email address in my profile.

October 19, 2010 10:00 pm
isemann

isemann

Urchin

from London
1 posts

Personally speaking, I can't believe the patience everyone has shown. Particularly since Loren seems to communicate the status of Tweetie 2 for Mac like an Easter Island statue communicates.

In the white heat and furious pace of technology today this 'working on it' has been glacial.

Just my two cents.

R!

October 19, 2010 10:02 pm
kurter

kurter

Urchin

2 posts

Thanks for the update. Like the other guys above I'm looking forward to see tweetie 2. I hope it will come soon smile

October 19, 2010 10:03 pm
juliahoneyman

juliahoneyman

Tinkerer

18 posts

capt_carl wrote:
Jon Alper wrote:

Until Tweetie 2 ships? It's just so much Duke Nukem Forever.

You do know DNF is coming out in early 2011 (for real), right?

1. I'll believe it when I see it.
2. Even if it does finally come out then, how many years did everyone wait for it?

October 19, 2010 10:18 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

GordLacey wrote:

Phill, whether he deleted it or not, I saw his response, and I was shocked that he'd be telling a customer to "go fuck yourself," when I said absolutely nothing to warrant the response. If he wants to contact me off the boards, he can use the email address in my profile.

Quotes would make this much easier to follow.

Website | Twitter

October 19, 2010 10:24 pm
Vanish

Vanish

Tinkerer

from Altoona, IA
16 posts

Warbrain wrote:
claylevering wrote:

John,

-Clay

Might I recommend you bring it up to atebits yourself? The Directorate are cuffed at this time and can't really do anything.

That's all well and good, however MacHeist promoted and sold the bundle with the promise of a beta of the app 'soon'. It was irresponsible to do so without a contracted guarantee of delivery in an acceptable timeframe.

I'm not turned off by MacHeist, but I have left Tweetie behind on all platforms for other tools that keep up with the service offerings in a timely fashion and will probably have as much chance of using Tweetie 2 on my Mac at this point as I use Twitter (formerly Tweetie) on my iPhone and iPad, which is nil.

[img]http://tinyurl.com/purpleteam[/img]

October 19, 2010 10:40 pm
gauchomatt

gauchomatt

Urchin

from Utah
5 posts

Good to hear this is still alive...

October 19, 2010 10:42 pm
firedude2894

firedude2894

Urchin

from SoCal
6 posts

Tweetie is still my client of choice and I will wait (patiently, I hope) for the update.

Thanks for keeping us filled in!

Although you can change without improving, you can't improve without changing!

October 19, 2010 10:49 pm
The_Boss

The_Boss

Automaton Tech

from Sydney, Australia
323 posts

Pics or GTFO!

lol, in all seriousness though, due to John's post I semi-retract my slanderous post about Loren in the other thread. I say semi-retract as even though I have no reason to think that John would lie to us, who's to say that Loren isn't lying to John?

Nevertheless, I will wait patiently and some good can come from all this in the form of Tweetie 2. And soon!

▛▞▞▟ Ooh wacka do wacka diddily do I'm so BLUE! ▙▚▚▜

October 19, 2010 11:04 pm
sterlizzi

sterlizzi

Gearhead

67 posts

I have pretty much given up on seeing Tweetie 2.  I have moved on to Kiwi.

http://stephenterlizzi.com/

October 19, 2010 11:31 pm
maxwell

maxwell

Gearhead

from outthere,way outside o Yonkers
91 posts

The update is most appreciated. I feel a little better now.

Fried Green Tommy toes

October 19, 2010 11:38 pm
maxwell

maxwell

Gearhead

from outthere,way outside o Yonkers
91 posts

sterlizzi wrote:

I have pretty much given up on seeing Tweetie 2.  I have moved on to Kiwi.

Kiwi is pretty sweet, if it had just a few more options I'd be completely won over.

Fried Green Tommy toes

October 19, 2010 11:46 pm

pivo6

Urchin

2 posts

I had forgotten about Tweetie 2 until this thread came about. I too have moved on to other programs that are still being updated regularly.

October 20, 2010 12:02 am
rogue25u20

rogue25u20

Gearhead

from Indiana - U.S.A.
92 posts

So the issue of long delayed close to dead Tweetie 2 for Mac is a matter for Loren/Atebits/Twitter.  That still leaves the issue of including promised betas as part of the MH Bundle for the Directorate.  I'm thinking Cha-Ching, The Hit List, and Tweetie 2 for Mac.  If/when MH 4 arrives, can we get a policy of only including actual versions of apps?

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

October 20, 2010 1:27 am
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

Warbrain wrote:

The Directorate are cuffed at this time and can't really do anything.

Is Lisa up to her old tricks again?

October 20, 2010 1:52 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » An update and some clarification on Tweetie 2 for Mac

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?