Forums

Tweetie 2 is dead, long live Twitter for Mac, and RESOLUTION FINALLY!

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Tweetie 2 is dead, long live Twitter for Mac, and RESOLUTION FINALLY!
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Moderator's Note: This back door has unfortunately been disabled at the request of Apple (pursuant to compliance with Mac App Store rules).

It's been an epic wait. Crazy things have happened. We're now all 9 months older. But Tweetie 2 is finally here, in the form of the official Twitter client for Mac, now available for free on the App Store.

"But wait!" You say. "What about us nanoBundle 2 customers? We in part bought into the future of Tweetie! You guys haven't abandoned us have you?"

We haven't forgotten about you guys, and neither has Loren…

You see, while everyone is able to check out Twitter for Mac today, only you guys are able to enter the backdoor and unlock access to pre-release builds and a secret experimental features menu. Yes, we know. This is totally MacHeist. smile

The entrance is hidden, but straightforward to find and unlock. You'll want to have your MacHeist Tweetie license number handy.

First, visit the Mac App Store and download Twitter for Mac.

Open it.

Click the Help menu and hold command + option + control at the same time.

Finally, take a moment of self-satisfaction as you unlock the near future.

THANK YOU for your patience and happy tweeting, heisters!

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

January 6, 2011 5:05 pm
r3dlink13

r3dlink13

Tinkerer

from Bexley, Ohio
33 posts

Hooray! Mac Heist and Loren pull through! Thanks!

January 6, 2011 5:11 pm

bkidney

Tinkerer

from Newfoundland, Canada
20 posts

The solution is to be beta testers for new features?  I didn't buy the nanoBundle so I am not really affected, but this doesn't look anything like what people thought they were getting.

January 6, 2011 5:12 pm
tegeril

tegeril

Gearhead

from Boston, MA
86 posts

Interesting stuff.

Unlock screen:
http://cl.ly/3F242R2p072Y2D0G2c0H

Pref window:
http://cl.ly/3c0Z1K160b2a023p0d40

-Aaron

Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

Well that was quick.

bkidney wrote:

The solution is to be beta testers for new features?  I didn't buy the nanoBundle so I am not really affected, but this doesn't look anything like what people thought they were getting.

That is exactly what people were promised. Beta access. (they weren't actually promised the finished second version, but got that too)

And lo, it was done.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

jaruzek

jaruzek

Gearhead

from under your nose
88 posts

Too little, too late. Fuck you guys.

https://www.macheist.com/buy/invite/6504

January 6, 2011 5:14 pm
neko

neko

from barren wastelands of wisconsin
238 posts

Can't wait to get home and play with this. And the other Mac App Store stuff, but yeah.

still a better mod than taru.

January 6, 2011 5:14 pm
DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

I want my goddamn money back for Tweetie for iphone.

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

January 6, 2011 5:15 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

jaruzek wrote:

Hmph.

Website | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:16 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

I just remembered why I love you guys. Awesome.

January 6, 2011 5:17 pm

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

I only bought the nano bundle because tweetie 2 was going to cost money and I was getting a free upgrade. Giving the entire world a free upgrade is BS.

I want a refund.

January 6, 2011 5:18 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

jaruzek wrote:

I suppose I owe someone a beer (was it Warbrain?) when he said that some people won't be satisfied with anything no matter what you concede for them.

"Oh look, we have everything we wanted. Well fuck you anyway".

Well, thanks. Glad you appreciate everything we (and in particular the directorate) has done to remedy the situation. See you next season!

ericanderson wrote:

I only bought the nano bundle because tweetie 2 was going to cost money and I was getting a free upgrade. Giving the entire world a free upgrade is BS.

I want a refund.

Nowhere in the original agreement did it say you were getting the final version of Tweetie 2, and yet here you are with it. You were promised beta access/features and that's what you got.

January 6, 2011 5:18 pm
jesseB93

jesseB93

Automaton Tech

102 posts

After "macheist Secret Stuff" comes up i click it and it takes me to twitters help page. Not sure what to do.

10gb storage space with Dropbox Click Here

Earn FREE amazon gift cards and other prizes just by using this search engine. http://bit.ly/3QvTwV

January 6, 2011 5:20 pm

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

Miah wrote:
jaruzek wrote:

I suppose I owe someone a beer (was it Warbrain?) when he said that some people won't be satisfied with anything no matter what you concede for them.

This is not a remedy. "Super secret preferences"??? Who gives a f!%k.

January 6, 2011 5:21 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Miah wrote:
jaruzek wrote:

"Oh look, we have everything we wanted. Well fuck you anyway".

Well, thanks. Glad you appreciate everything we (and in particular the directorate) has done to remedy the situation. See you next season!

ericanderson wrote:

I want a refund.

Nowhere in the original agreement did it say you were getting the final version of Tweetie 2, and yet here you are with it. You were promised beta access/features and that's what you got.

I'll take the beer. I might have said that at some point.

Website | Twitter

DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

I'm gonna put aside Tweetie 2 for mac, I paid for Tweetie for iPhone, then suddenly they sold to Twitter and it was free. I feel as though i wasted my money buying a product i believed in. It's not like they suddenly cut the price (which i would have been ok with). If i remember correctly i paid $2 or $3 for Tweetie for iPhone, i want it back.

That's abuse of customer base "haha thanks for your money, but we are selling to twitter, so the app you just paid for is now free" Bullshit.

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

Miah wrote:

Actually, we were promised a free upgrade. By the exact letter, this is being provided, but you scam artists only got us to pay because we expected the upgrade to cost money.

January 6, 2011 5:23 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

ericanderson wrote:
Miah wrote:
jaruzek wrote:

This is not a remedy. "Super secret preferences"??? Who gives a f!%k.

Like I said, you weren't even promised free access to Tweetie 2, and yet there you have it. What exactly is the problem?

ericanderson wrote:

Actually, we were promised a free upgrade.

No, you were not.

January 6, 2011 5:24 pm
jaruzek

jaruzek

Gearhead

from under your nose
88 posts

Miah wrote:

Only 9 months late? $1 or $100, it doesn't matter. If memory serves me correct, I bought Tweetie 2, as well as early beta access, in the bundle. Bad business, but good on you guys for finally delivering. Thanks so much.

https://www.macheist.com/buy/invite/6504

January 6, 2011 5:25 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

ericanderson wrote:
Miah wrote:

Actually, we were promised a free upgrade. By the exact letter, this is being provided, but you scam artists only got us to pay because we expected the upgrade to cost money.

It's interesting how everything changes on the Internet. You buy something from the store, feature doesn't pan out, you get mad at the manufacturer and not the store.

On the Internet, however, fuck the retailer I guess.

Website | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:25 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

ericanderson wrote:

Actually, we were promised a free upgrade.

Prove it?

PM me | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:26 pm
neko

neko

from barren wastelands of wisconsin
238 posts

I heard some of you guys were mad about things changing over the course of a year, vaporware, and hurt feelings, so here's a dapper cat.

http://i.imgur.com/oU8RY.jpg

still a better mod than taru.

January 6, 2011 5:26 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

neko wrote:

I heard some of you guys were mad about things changing over the course of a year, vaporware, and hurt feelings, so here's a dapper cat.

Not dapper enough. I demand a refund.

January 6, 2011 5:28 pm

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

Make it so I can post a link, I will prove it.

http://cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MacHeist-tweetie.jpg

here you go. now stop multiposting -neko

January 6, 2011 5:29 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

ericanderson wrote:

Make it so I can post a link, I will prove it.

Could always remove the http or do it h**p.

Website | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:30 pm

MrBoogiee

Urchin

2 posts

like the promise in the beta check window big_smile. Just don't know yet if there's a clue in it already...

January 6, 2011 5:30 pm
tegeril

tegeril

Gearhead

from Boston, MA
86 posts

January 6, 2011 5:31 pm
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

I have no problem with what MacHeist have done. I think its a fair alternative and good considering that it wasn't them who decided to make Tweetie free. I am sure in the T/Cs it will say "if it ever does get released" and technically, this is a new product from a new company so Tweetie 2 hasn't been released and never will be.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

January 6, 2011 5:33 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

ericanderson wrote:

cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MacHeist-tweetie.jpg

That wasn't the original agreement, but it could have been modified.

But okay. So, you have:

1) Tweetie 2 as no further cost to you.
2) Beta access/features.

What were you promised again?

Also, stop reposting everything.

January 6, 2011 5:33 pm
iamroot

iamroot

Automaton Tech

from Boston
413 posts

Being that it is both free to download and an upgrade from the previous version (this one sporting a v2.0 in the about window) it is a free upgrade. Sorry you could not feel elitist for getting some paid software for free :\

January 6, 2011 5:36 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

OK, you are correct - upgrade to v2 was promised. You can choose to believe that Twitter for Mac is Tweetie 2, at which point you are fulfilled, or that there is no Tweetie 2, and you are not. The truth is, the closest thing to Tweetie 2 that's ever going to exist is Twitter for Mac, and it's free. Besides that, you get access to experimental (beta) features. That's a reasonable facsimile to early beta access (you get access to these features before anybody else). I think that's a fair shake.

Honestly, person to person (not any sort of official statement): If you're STILL miffed, grow up. You got the best possible outcome. It wasn't pretty for anybody, but that's life. Grow. Up.

PM me | Twitter

bkidney

Tinkerer

from Newfoundland, Canada
20 posts

Miah wrote:

Well that was quick.

bkidney wrote:

That is exactly what people were promised. Beta access. (they weren't actually promised the finished second version, but got that too)

And lo, it was done.

I guess I'll have to admit to my mistake.  In reading the threads on the forum I thought they had bought the full version (and couldn't remember the original deal myself).  To be honest though, as a Software Engineer, I can see why anyone would want to buy a beta product (many users indicated it was there only reason for purchasing the bundle).

davemee

Urchin

3 posts

Thanks for this. Tweetie wasn't the reason I bought the bundle, thought the benefit was the end of ads in an application I used anway. And it's nice to get this followup, all the more so as I'd forgotten about it.

However, it's rejecting my email and license to unlock the extras. I just downloaded that information from MacHeist as well, so I know it's accurate.

Who should I harangue? Or is it something that will naturally resolve itself over the next few days?

Thanks again

January 6, 2011 5:37 pm

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

Sorry, I dont mean to repost, the site keeps dying.

As for that not being the original agreement, I don't know. Its false advertising if nothing else.

If the expectation is that Tweetie 2 will cost money and that I'm buying a license that grants me a free upgrade to that version, I feel scammed. At the very least I want a refund for the portion not given to charity.

January 6, 2011 5:37 pm
bjmorgan

bjmorgan

Urchin

from Temecula, CA
3 posts

Lest we forget the real good stuff.  Apparently I can't post the image until I'm a contributing member of this brood.

January 6, 2011 5:38 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Miah wrote:
ericanderson wrote:

cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/MacHeist-tweetie.jpg

That wasn't the original agreement, but it could have been modified.

But okay. So, you have:

1) Tweetie 2 as no further cost to you.
2) Beta access/features.

What were you promised again?

Also, stop reposting everything.

He's probably refreshing to make sure it posts because I keep getting high traffic errors.

Website | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:38 pm

milhaus

Urchin

3 posts

At least this is something.   

But I'm sorry that the MacHeist apologists are so blind to the what the issue really was.  Now that MacHeist has delivered something, I'm not dissatisfied, but had they not done anything, they're responsible for the situation.  It doesn't matter that we got a "deal": we weren't, until now, getting what we were promised.  I don't care who is to blame - Lorne, MacHeist, YazSoft, your friggin' cat.  The proprietor - the person I gave money to for the promised product - is the one responsible.  But it won't matter to the mods, of course.  You guys keeping buying MacHeist bundles and flogging them. 

So good on you MacHeist for living up to obligations.  Bad on you, mods, for having such low expectations for customer support and living up to promises.  If this is representative of what the MacHeist community expects, and what it can deliver, I won't be back.

January 6, 2011 5:39 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

bkidney wrote:

To be honest though, as a Software Engineer, I can see why anyone would want to buy a beta product (many users indicated it was there only reason for purchasing the bundle).

I assume you mean "can't". Also a software engineer. If you think this is bad, look the the Apps forums regarding The Hit List.

Though I may need to make a partial redaction in that the full version might have indeed been promised. However, everyone gets that too, it's just not in the circumstances expected.

January 6, 2011 5:39 pm

ericanderson

Tinkerer

14 posts

JPDyson wrote:

OK, you are correct - upgrade to v2 was promised. You can choose to believe that Twitter for Mac is Tweetie 2, at which point you are fulfilled, or that there is no Tweetie 2, and you are not. The truth is, the closest thing to Tweetie 2 that's ever going to exist is Twitter for Mac, and it's free. Besides that, you get access to experimental (beta) features. That's a reasonable facsimile to early beta access (you get access to these features before anybody else). I think that's a fair shake.

Honestly, person to person (not any sort of official statement): If you're STILL miffed, grow up. You got the best possible outcome. It wasn't pretty for anybody, but that's life. Grow. Up.

This is the biggest BS response I've ever heard. I'm your customer. This is not how you treat customers. You expect anyone to ever believe any promises you make again?

January 6, 2011 5:41 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

While I agree that the MacHeist team and Loren didn't handle this well at all, getting upset won't change anything.

Worst case scenario, people spent $19 on a bundle that they didn't need, and a copy of Tweetie 2 which they didn't need to pay for. Since the money has already been distributed, it's obvious that nobody will be getting their $19 back, so it's time to move on.

$19 isn't worth getting angry about and making your day more unpleasant for youself. Everyone has the software they wanted, and $19 aside, everything is good.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

davemee wrote:

However, it's rejecting my email and license to unlock the extras. I just downloaded that information from MacHeist as well, so I know it's accurate.

Who should I harangue? Or is it something that will naturally resolve itself over the next few days?

Thanks again

Make sure you're giving it the email on the receipt and not the name. I did this wrong the first time.

dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

JPDyson wrote:

Agreed. There have already been a few "scandals" on the Mac App Store already. Such as CoverSutra 2.5 being released as a paid upgrade for users of 2.x despite the licence for 2.x being for updates until version 3.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

January 6, 2011 5:43 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

ericanderson wrote:
Miah wrote:

What? Now, I think Loren can still go to hell for utterly failing his customers and leaving The Directorate holding the bag (I haven't seen such utter contempt for customers since Juan Alvarez/MidnightApps and Cha-Ching), but thinking or assuming that this new version of Tweetie was going to cost money does not logically equal any kind of scam. The bundle including Tweetie promised a free upgrade to the next version -- and lo and behold, that's what we got, including feature exclusivity as MacHeist paying customers.

The only way you could be right is if The Directorate officially said something on the order of "...the upgrade for Tweetie 2 will cost $X.XX but you're getting it for free!", while having prior knowledge that Tweetie 2 was going to be released as freeware. But no one, including the Directorate, anticipated neither Loren and Atebits' apparent implosion resulting in the absence of the Tweetie 2 betas, nor Twitter Inc's acquisition of Tweetie (and Loren) and their subsequent focus solely on Tweetie for iOS. It's completely unfair and unreasonable to blame The Directorate for something over which they had no control or power.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

January 6, 2011 5:43 pm
j3snyder

j3snyder

Big Game Hunter

from Yerington, NV
976 posts

Maybe Loren should have just renamed tweetie to tweetie v2 with an expiring beta like THL.  Then, everyone would have received the beta, a new feature (expiring beta), and the full app with the app store.  Problem solved, everybody happy.

Referrals for your consideration:
Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1N … src=global

January 6, 2011 5:44 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

JPDyson wrote:

Telling people who are upset to grow up is actually fairly childish. Seriously... think about it.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

January 6, 2011 5:44 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

ericanderson wrote:
JPDyson wrote:

This is the biggest BS response I've ever heard. I'm your customer. This is not how you treat customers. You expect anyone to ever believe any promises you make again?

He's a moderator. His word isn't official.

Website | Twitter

January 6, 2011 5:45 pm
j3snyder

j3snyder

Big Game Hunter

from Yerington, NV
976 posts

dan.palmer wrote:
JPDyson wrote:

Agreed. There have already been a few "scandals" on the Mac App Store already. Such as CoverSutra 2.5 being released as a paid upgrade for users of 2.x despite the licence for 2.x being for updates until version 3.

Of course, Sophie could just rename the version and fulfill all obligations.  That would fix it.

Referrals for your consideration:
Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1N … src=global

January 6, 2011 5:45 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

j3snyder wrote:

Of course, Sophie could just rename the version and fulfill all obligations.  That would fix it.

Better still she could just release 2.5 to the people who paid for it.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

January 6, 2011 5:47 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

ericanderson wrote:
JPDyson wrote:

You can call it BS, but those are the facts of the situation.

PM me | Twitter

Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

Regarding MacHeisters special access to Twitter for Mac, Bravo and Huzzah!

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Tweetie 2 is dead, long live Twitter for Mac, and RESOLUTION FINALLY!

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?