Forums

Have You Ever Stolen Software?

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Have You Ever Stolen Software?
Anthony Ryan

Anthony Ryan

Sky Pirate

1,087 posts

I know its a sensative topic, it hurts developers and i am in no way approving of this, but have you ever pirated software?

Ill be the first to confess i stole every version of windows i ever used.
But on the upside im 100% Legal since i switched to Mac.

How about you?

November 17, 2006 10:32 pm
Query

Query

Automaton Tech

from New York, USA
289 posts

I've honestly never stolen any software, unless you can say that anything from My Dream App or MacHeist "is a steal." tongue

I may have violated a license or two, though, by installing something on more than one computer. Hmm.

November 17, 2006 10:34 pm
Bonobo

Bonobo

Automaton Tech

from Lower Saxony, Germany
128 posts

Don't let me tell you about my Atari times ...

MacOSXpert.de -- German Mac Mailing Lists • Deutsche Mac-Mailinglisten

November 17, 2006 11:03 pm
jarland

jarland

Automaton Tech

from Hallsville, TX
206 posts

On Windows, yeah I pirated everything. But since I got a Mac, I tend to find that the applications I want aren't priced in a way that makes me feel good about pirating. Most of them are just looking for a little money to hold them over with prices like $5-$25 for most applications. I can't be like that to anyone. So I'm strictly legal these days.

"The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." - C.S. Lewis
http://www.jarlanddonnell.com

November 17, 2006 11:05 pm
cheezehog

cheezehog

Big Game Hunter

from The Gap
574 posts

hhmmmm....  another good reason to switch...?

玩鬧

November 17, 2006 11:06 pm
rsm5068

rsm5068

Automaton Tech

from The SC
139 posts

Anthony Ryan wrote:

I know its a sensative topic, it hurts developers and i am in no way approving of this, but have you ever pirated software?

Ill be the first to confess i stole every version of windows i ever used.
But on the upside im 100% Legal since i switched to Mac.

How about you?

Pirated it myself or used pirated software?

November 17, 2006 11:33 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

Maya is $7000+ / license, and you have to pay a $1200 fee to transfer that license if you buy a new computer.  I may or may not have downloaded a crack to bypass that fee.

I actually paid $400 for a student license, but still, that's a lot of money.

Sweet.

November 17, 2006 11:34 pm
uruviel

uruviel

Tinkerer

from the Netherlands
48 posts

Yes I have, and still do actually.

November 17, 2006 11:48 pm

ndokiman

Automaton Tech

from Trinidad
192 posts

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Reject image over substance...

November 17, 2006 11:50 pm
Strange

Strange

Sky Pirate

from New York, NY
1,026 posts

Ooh.. Delicate Topic.

November 18, 2006 12:24 am

ndokiman

Automaton Tech

from Trinidad
192 posts

Strange wrote:

Ooh.. Delicate Topic.

Might be a narc...

November 18, 2006 12:29 am
rsm5068

rsm5068

Automaton Tech

from The SC
139 posts

well... I have never done the pirating myself. I have however gotten certain autodesk and adobe apps that friends have "fixed" for me.

November 18, 2006 12:30 am

ndokiman

Automaton Tech

from Trinidad
192 posts

rsm5068 wrote:

well... I have never done the pirating myself. I have however gotten certain autodesk and adobe apps that friends have "fixed" for me.

Pirate!!!

November 18, 2006 12:35 am
MrBobDobolina

MrBobDobolina

Big Game Hunter

from La-La-Land
706 posts

I "stumbled upon" a copy of a "certian Photo editing program" which usually runs for around $1000...

Apathetic Thursday | Twitter | Flickr | Previously Awesome

November 18, 2006 1:13 am
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

Not since the early 90s on Windows. My older brother used to get me stuff all the time. I didn't even really know what pirating was back then tongue

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 18, 2006 1:17 am
rsm5068

rsm5068

Automaton Tech

from The SC
139 posts

ndokiman wrote:
rsm5068 wrote:

Pirate!!!

Thank you for clearing that up for me. smile

November 18, 2006 1:19 am

ndokiman

Automaton Tech

from Trinidad
192 posts

rsm5068 wrote:
ndokiman wrote:
rsm5068 wrote:

Pirate!!!

Thank you for clearing that up for me. smile

You're welcome.

November 18, 2006 1:22 am
chwebb1

chwebb1

Big Game Hunter

657 posts

Arg... Yup, I did, and still do.
And I don't quite follow the EULAs for my purchased software either.
-Chris

November 18, 2006 1:41 am
cheerful

cheerful

Big Game Hunter

from Antarctica
500 posts

i've not attained the status of a jewel thief yet.  sigh ... ...  i aspire to be one.  share with me your arts and secrets pls.  tia!

Penguin in the ArcticZOT

November 18, 2006 1:52 am
teflon

teflon

Automaton Tech

from The UK
186 posts

i have... on occasion.

HOWEVER, its either out of print games, which are officially discontinued, and around 3 or 4 years old, or its software which is way out of my league on the money i get in my loan each year... even with a student discount, some things are just plain ridiculous (im looking at you Sibelius)..

oh... and QT7 Pro... ill buy QT8 Pro when it comes out, for the simple reason that I dont see why I should pay for an upgrade which will make negligible difference to what you can actually do with software which should really be able to do what you want it to straight out of the box!

Polytetrafluoroethylene to his friends...
most of whom reside here

November 18, 2006 1:55 am
Sage

Sage

Tinkerer

from UC San Diego
20 posts

Nope, never. I wouldn’t steal a stick of gum from 7-11, so I would never steal software from a developer. (Ditto music.)

November 18, 2006 2:01 am
cotteez

cotteez

Gearhead

from Sydney, Australia
85 posts

I am, as they say, a victim of piracy...

November 18, 2006 2:04 am
chwebb1

chwebb1

Big Game Hunter

657 posts

Sage wrote:

Nope, never. I wouldn’t steal a stick of gum from 7-11, so I would never steal software from a developer. (Ditto music.)

I won't steal music (It's $.99/song!), but I will "borrow" software. I feel like many developers charge too much for their apps (especially commercial apps), and price the apps/suites out of my range.
-Chris

November 18, 2006 2:16 am
ryansprinkle

ryansprinkle

Gearhead

from San Francisco
94 posts

We prefer to be called buccaneer-americans.

November 18, 2006 2:53 am
post_break

post_break

Gearhead

from Toledo Ohio
86 posts

It seems like every time Im on my computer... Adobe can kiss my ass for photoshop though. Great program, horrible price.

If I like an artist I support them by buying their cd, other than that heh.

MacHive

November 18, 2006 3:14 am
Strange

Strange

Sky Pirate

from New York, NY
1,026 posts

chwebb1 wrote:
Sage wrote:

I won't steal music (It's $.99/song!), but I will "borrow" software. I feel like many developers charge too much for their apps (especially commercial apps), and price the apps/suites out of my range.
-Chris

Right, I have about a thousand songs. Imagine if I had the same philosophy as you ("Just $.99/song!"). No way.
Also, when you download music from p2p apps, you're not stealing. You're been given to. There's a difference.

November 18, 2006 3:20 am
ktx

ktx

Automaton Tech

from Wouldn't you like to know?
474 posts

"Stolen" ? No.

However, I'll admit to copyright infringement.

Vitamin C Power!

November 18, 2006 3:25 am
BenRose3d

BenRose3d

Automaton Tech

from Charleston, SC
291 posts

Don't incriminate yourselves.

November 18, 2006 3:30 am

ndokiman

Automaton Tech

from Trinidad
192 posts

BenRose3d wrote:

Don't incriminate yourselves.

Good advice.

November 18, 2006 3:40 am
ecopax

ecopax

Tinkerer

from Chicago, IL
42 posts

Once with Maple (the math program). I needed it for a calc class. I didn't want to pay full price for a program I was only going to use a semester, and they didn't offer a short-term deal. I'm a fan of Mathmatica and MATLAB and not a fan of Maple, so I didn't want to pay for inferior software. I copied my university's site-wide license and compared it with my roomates to create a mac-friendly site-wide license. Technically, my computer was still on campus so I should have been included in the site-wide lisence.

November 18, 2006 4:36 am
mybagofjems

mybagofjems

Automaton Tech

from Milwaukee
295 posts

I take the 5th. I want my lawyer present. LOL.

Buying 6 MH bundles for the needy

Home made avatars: RDF machine | Bug Zapper | Fortune Teller

November 18, 2006 8:38 am
Spike

Spike

Tinkerer

from UK
22 posts

lol ok heres goes...
photoshop and illustrator cs2, stattoo, macromedia flash and dreamweaver, about 3000 songs.. quicktime pro, every game i have ever owned pc and mac, tv shows, movies..

now don't get me wrong i don't like stealing, but i prefer to download the cracked app to play with before shelling out huge amounts of cash to buy something i won't end up using.. if i use the app alot i usualy end up buying it, eg shapeshifter, silk, candybar and pixadex but i see no harm in pirating software as a way to test the app..

and c'mon most trial versions are limited and don't give u a true sense of the application.

My Website ColorDesign Studios

November 18, 2006 9:39 am
notorious

notorious

Automaton Tech

from San Francisco, CA
136 posts

ryansprinkle wrote:

We prefer to be called buccaneer-americans.

We are now best friends.

This is our world, you just live in it...

November 18, 2006 9:44 am
epochblue

epochblue

Big Game Hunter

from St. Louis, MO
580 posts

With the shareware scene as high-quality as it is in Mac-land, I find it impossible to justify not paying for software.  The trial periods for Mac shareware are extremely generous, and if it's something you find yourself using, it's worth the money.

Yes, even a goliath like Adobe deserves to get paid for their hard work.

If you can't afford the shareware, chances are there is a freeware alternative that should "get you through the storm" until you can afford the shareware version.

-- epochblue rolls with a 15" 1.67Ghz PowerBook G4, a 20GB 4G iPod, and a 2G shuffle.

November 18, 2006 3:50 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

cheerful wrote:

i've not attained the status of a jewel thief yet.  sigh ... ...  i aspire to be one.  share with me your arts and secrets pls.  tia!

I'm still trying to become a rustler!!!

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

November 18, 2006 5:22 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

i would never pirate, steal, or "be given" any software....

Why? Because I just dont think its right!

However, I am all for telling Adobe that their prices are WAY to high....

EDIT: if anyone has an extra licensce of CS2, i'll be willing to "recycle" it for you!

EDIT 2: If you want a better way to get software from adobe, buy a past version for cheap off ebay, and then upgrade!!! smile That's NOT pirating!!!

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

November 18, 2006 5:26 pm
chwebb1

chwebb1

Big Game Hunter

657 posts

definetheline wrote:

i would never pirate, steal, or "be given" any software....

Why? Because I just dont think its right!

However, I am all for telling Adobe that their prices are WAY to high....

EDIT: if anyone has an extra licensce of CS2, i'll be willing to "recycle" it for you!

EDIT 2: If you want a better way to get software from adobe, buy a past version for cheap off ebay, and then upgrade!!! smile That's NOT pirating!!!

It could be, if the other person did not uninstall the software.
-Chris

November 18, 2006 5:54 pm
Levi

Levi

Gearhead

68 posts

I don't like the term stealing, as it implies you've taken something away from another party; and with software it's rarely like that.

If we're talking about "lost sales" then I haven't cost any developer/artist anything; because there was no way I would ever be able to afford an app like Photoshop, so I can either not use it and not cost Adobe in the form of a "lost sale" or I can "steal" it and use it and still not cost Adobe in the form of a "lost sale".

I'm not saying it's legal, or even ethical... but it is victimless. Oh, and I'm using Photoshop 7 legally at the moment, but I won't be buying any future versions until my income makes it possible.

As for the $5 - $40 shareware apps... I've been known to break the terms of licenses in order to test apps when the demo restrictions don't allow me to test the features that I actually want the app for; but then I'll either pay for it, find a free alternative, or delete it depending on how good it is. Saying that, I don't use that much shareware; the only programs I'm using at the moment are Disco (and although I like the UI, it's not working as well as Toast is for me, so it will probably be relegated to the Trash pretty soon) and VisualHub (which is better than iSquint, but I'll have to take a look at some other shareware apps before I decide whether to buy it or not).

Again, I'm not saying it's right; but I'd be much more likely to "steal" software out-right in the future if I paid to upgrade to unrestricted versions of shareware and it turned out to be a waste of money.

November 18, 2006 6:06 pm
iigloo

iigloo

Gearhead

from Stockholm, Sweden
50 posts

ktx wrote:

"Stolen" ? No.

However, I'll admit to copyright infringement.

Amen to that.

November 18, 2006 6:10 pm
BenRose3d

BenRose3d

Automaton Tech

from Charleston, SC
291 posts

If the target of something is professionals, then I would suspect they wouldn't take the risk of using pirated versions anyway.  I am really having trouble understanding how someone who would never spend thousands of dollars on something meant for professionals for personal use that pirated that software is hurting the company that makes that software.  Where is the theft exactly?

How you evaluate right and wrong is subjective.  If you evaluate why it has been considered wrong to "steal" before this digital age, and afterwards, you'll find that not only has the definition changed, but that the absolute immorality rests in the hands of the perpetual copyright extenders and excessive price gougers.

I'm not saying I have or have not ever pirated anything.  All I'm saying is that before you pass judgement you should think first about why something is "wrong."

November 18, 2006 6:12 pm
noah93

noah93

Gearhead

from Teh Tubez
84 posts

Yes and no.

I will download a crack for an app to test out all the features, then if I don't like it, I'll delete it, and if I like it, I shell out for a license (or more correctly, my father shells out for it).

There are some apps, like adobe and macromedia that are way out of my range (I'm 13 for heavens sake!) but I need them to make half-decent websites. I may not have payed for these, but I was given a Concordia site-wide license by the professor (worked for Concordia) who was teaching me. Saying that I'm his student, I should be covered.

I download TV shows for the convenience of not having to go downstairs to watch it and being able to keep it forever. But again, I pay full price for all the HD channels my shows come from, and own an HD PVR, so I am just watching the show in a different place inside my house, like with a slingbox. I am not stealing the content, because my father does pay for the channels and service.

I do pirate some of my music, but recently I've been paying for them on the iTMS. Although the price is beginning to get a bit crazy ($300 +). But then again, the music industry deserves every blow pirating takes at it. I shouldn't be limited on the amount of computers I could use my PAYED FOR songs on (half my computers can't play my music because of the 5 computer limit) while my buds that pirate can use the songs as many times as they want!

So no, I don't really consider myself a pirate, I just couldn't care less for the DMCA, EULAs, the music industry, or any other law or organization that prohibits me from doing as I wish with things I buy.

Noah

Join us in TheAmazon (where everyone can participate!)

November 18, 2006 6:32 pm
chezfromage

chezfromage

Automaton Tech

from 35°55'40.33"N 84°01'44.54"W
120 posts

um, yes, but indirectly. 3 years ago my creative director allowed me to put the companies' "highly expensive software bundle" on my powerbook.  : )
i've now bought my own, but honestly, who can afford it when they're entry level???

postsecret

November 18, 2006 6:44 pm
MrBobDobolina

MrBobDobolina

Big Game Hunter

from La-La-Land
706 posts

noah93 wrote:

There are some apps, like adobe and macromedia that are way out of my range (I'm 13 for heavens sake!) but I need them to make half-decent websites.

I can understand perhaps wanting Photoshop for doing images for webpages, but when it comes to making half-decent websites all you need is a good free text-editor...

I prefer Taco HTML Edit (http://tacosw.com/main.php) myself...

Apathetic Thursday | Twitter | Flickr | Previously Awesome

November 18, 2006 6:46 pm
Schlaeps

Schlaeps

Automaton Tech

from Santa Cruz, CA
332 posts

Strange wrote:

Also, when you download music from p2p apps, you're not stealing. You're been given to. There's a difference.

ROFL

5 (665) 367-5472

I'm blue daba de daba di.

November 18, 2006 6:49 pm
chwebb1

chwebb1

Big Game Hunter

657 posts

MrBobDobolina wrote:

when it comes to making half-decent websites all you need is a good free text-editor...

I prefer Taco HTML Edit (http://tacosw.com/main.php) myself...

<sarcasm> I think we will ALL write out code instead of drag and drop. </sarcasm>
Most of us don't have the time of day to do that. There are only 24 hours in a day.
-Chris

November 18, 2006 6:57 pm
justG

justG

Sky Pirate

from LI, NY, US
1,639 posts

Erm.. Yes, I agree that there are only so many hours in a day, but the suggestion was made to Noah.. who's 13.  I can't speak for him, but I had loads of time when I was 13. I'd say it was a pretty valid recommendation in this case.

November 18, 2006 10:06 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

OK, there are cheap or free alternatives to pretty much every program out there. Of course they're not as good but that also shows how tough it is to create the better ones. It's not like you truly "need" them. Just because you consider something overpriced and you want it doesn't give you the right to steal it however you can.

I do feel that a lot of things are overpriced and they should have a better evaluation period (and on rare occasions I've used p2p to evaluate something) but I also feel that this "I have the right" or "I wouldn't buy it at that price anyway" mentality is grossly exaggerated. There ARE alternatives out there. It's a matter of your own honor.
If someone honestly has an intelligent response to this I'd love to hear it but all that I've heard seems to overlook quite a few points in order to justify it.

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 18, 2006 11:25 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

I'm with AEnima for the most part, but some things are just really overpriced and made by greedy huge corporations that I have no wish to support (cough MS and Adobe cough). I think the most important thing is to pay for the stuff that matters to you and makes your Mac better. But when it gets over $200, and it's not justified, unless the value is huge, I wouldn't buy it.

Back on my two feet

November 18, 2006 11:36 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

I pirated Photoshop.
It's just too expensive.
I dont' feel like I'm stealing, because they're not losing any money from me. There's no way I would have bought it.

I did sort of steal "Dashcode" when it was leaked on those MBP's a while back.

I'm using the demo of iWork still too. (It's quite forgetful about the trial period if you delete a certain .plist file...)

So yes, I have "stolen" software, but only from the big guys.

November 18, 2006 11:51 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

wph wrote:

I pirated Photoshop.
It's just too expensive.
I dont' feel like I'm stealing, because they're not losing any money from me. There's no way I would have bought it.

I did sort of steal "Dashcode" when it was leaked on those MBP's a while back.

I'm using the demo of iWork still too. (It's quite forgetful about the trial period if you delete a certain .plist file...)

So yes, I have "stolen" software, but only from the big guys.

Wow, exactly like me! The same stuff, the same way, for the same reasons!

Back on my two feet

November 18, 2006 11:59 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Have You Ever Stolen Software?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?