Forums

Make Your Own Mac Mix??

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Make Your Own Mac Mix??

joshufucqer

Tinkerer

10 posts

Tired of Repeats?
Get ready for something totally new.

http://www.macmixpromo.com/

Has anyone else seen this? It looks interesting, but there doesn't seem to be much info about it. What do you think it means by "make your own mac mix"? It might be worth waiting to see what they have.

June 28, 2008 12:09 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

Interesting.  I guess we'll find out next month tongue

You've just read my signature

June 28, 2008 12:12 am
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

I had this exact idea about 4 months ago sad

Let users choose from 50+ apps their own bundle of either 5, 10, 20, 25 or all 50

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

June 28, 2008 12:30 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

It'll be interesting to me to watch this one. Although there's a decent amount of talk in that other thread here about the "a la carte bundle", I'm adamantly against it and I'd pretty much have to be held at gunpoint for us to do it for Macheist III (I'm sure Phill's considered this option for getting me to do things in the past).

My main reservation is the lack of focus for it when done this way. Not to mention that the devs make a lot less in the process since there's a much smaller slice of pie for everyone. I'm still remembering the first givegoodfood2yourmac promotion where, IIRC, they had less than 2,000 sales for it (and they had some decent apps in it).

I was even very much against having the "choose your game" thingy for MacHeist I, but I gave in on that one. Notice that we didn't have anything like that for MacHeist II, though.

If they can pull it off, more power to them and we'll learn something from it. But I'm going to go on record now saying that I just don't have much hope for it.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 28, 2008 12:39 am

joshufucqer

Tinkerer

10 posts

Really, what I'm interested in is the "Tired of repeats?" part... it'd be nice to see some new apps soon.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Parallels again if it ends up cheaper than the current bundle. Who knows...

However, GGFTYM did end poorly. We'll see.

June 28, 2008 12:54 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

joshufucqer wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Parallels again if it ends up cheaper than the current bundle.

Cheaper than $39???  Plus extra apps with it?  Geez, you are hard to please!

You've just read my signature

June 28, 2008 1:03 am
rampancy

rampancy

Moderator

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Hmm...

Engimatic teaser with lofty promises...

Somewhat bland site design...

Heavy use of Lucida Grande...


...Mark? Is that you? WELCOME BACK! big_smile

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 28, 2008 1:06 am
grinningcat142

grinningcat142

Urchin

3 posts

well...actually, that looks like the font they use on the apple site...which, to my knowledge, is Myriad Pro smile.

June 28, 2008 1:10 am
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

rampancy wrote:

Hmm...

Engimatic teaser with lofty promises...

Somewhat bland site design...

Heavy use of Lucida Grande...


...Mark? Is that you? WELCOME BACK! big_smile

You called it...

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

June 28, 2008 1:20 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

alloutmacstoday wrote:
rampancy wrote:

Hmm...

Engimatic teaser with lofty promises...

Somewhat bland site design...

Heavy use of Lucida Grande...


...Mark? Is that you? WELCOME BACK! big_smile

You called it...

Aaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee.......nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick, someone dig into that site registration and make sure it's not coming from his parents' pad in the English countryside!

You've just read my signature

June 28, 2008 1:26 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

johnred wrote:

It'll be interesting to me to watch this one. Although there's a decent amount of talk in that other thread here about the "a la carte bundle", I'm adamantly against it and I'd pretty much have to be held at gunpoint for us to do it for Macheist III (I'm sure Phill's considered this option for getting me to do things in the past).

My main reservation is the lack of focus for it when done this way. Not to mention that the devs make a lot less in the process since there's a much smaller slice of pie for everyone. I'm still remembering the first givegoodfood2yourmac promotion where, IIRC, they had less than 2,000 sales for it (and they had some decent apps in it)....

I'm guessing you're bummed if you're the dev who only gets picked for, oh, say, 5% of the bundles...

If MH2 had been run this way (say pick 8 of 14), i would have missed out on a couple favorites (awaken) in favor of some stuff I've never even used (snapz?)

choice seems like a good idea, but i really like the "added/add-on value" concept of the bundles...taking the plunge for the 3 apps i know i want, and the 3 i'll realize i wanted.  with 4-8 leftover to experiment with or gift to friends/fam, etc.

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

June 28, 2008 1:47 am
blazedragon555

blazedragon555

Sky Pirate

from NYC
1,030 posts

ladyvolcc wrote:

Quick, someone dig into that site registration and make sure it's not coming from his parents' pad in the English countryside!

Hmm... information for it doesn't come up on whois... neutral

Twitter

June 28, 2008 1:47 am
rampancy

rampancy

Moderator

from Denial.
3,889 posts

johnred wrote:

My main reservation is the lack of focus for it when done this way. Not to mention that the devs make a lot less in the process since there's a much smaller slice of pie for everyone. I'm still remembering the first givegoodfood2yourmac promotion where, IIRC, they had less than 2,000 sales for it (and they had some decent apps in it).

For me at least, the reason why I didn't go for GiveGoodFood bundle was that you had to get a whole lot of apps to really make the discount matter - and by that time the aggregate amount was high enough that the price was too much even with the discount.

I think the reason why this method is so popular though is that it avoids the rather thorny issue of repeats. The unfortunate problem now with bundles is that for the "hard-core" Mac intelligentsia who have their fingers on the pulse of indie software development, the ones who know about the hot apps before anyone else does, are by and large the same people who really get into the bundle. So this leads to an awkward question: if I really need given app X, would it make sense to buy it now, or wait in case it's included in the next MH or MU Promo bundle?

grinningcat142 wrote:

well...actually, that looks like the font they use on the apple site...which, to my knowledge, is Myriad Pro smile.

Well, a professional can prove me wrong on this, but the height and narrowness of the letters are to me a tell tale sign that he's or she's used Lucida Grande as a stand-in for Myriad Pro - in my experience, the letters in Myriad Pro seem somewhat thicker and squatter than the letters in Lucida Grande.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 28, 2008 2:01 am

hiddengiant

Urchin

3 posts

Well, seeing this posted here is a pleasant, albeit unexpected surprise. We only went "public" today. News travels fast. wink

To address some of the concerns here, no, I/we are not Mark Howsen, nor are we affiliated with him in any way whatsoever. So breathe a sigh of relief. smile Second, and somewhat offtopic, that font is actually Myriad Pro, in two varieties (Medium and Semibold).

Also, the logic behind this sale is simple. Some bundles in the past, which while very well priced, lump several apps into a large bundle. Of course, some people do enjoy this like ben.mcmahan has mentioned, but the vast majority we've talked to have found that they rarely even open most of the apps they get. They really only use 3-4, maybe less. By allowing a customer to make his or her own bundle, you're assured that you'll use every app in the bundle, since those were the ones you wanted. As for pricing, we've found that in our configurations, the price discrepancy is relatively minor, especially considering the utility of the bundle (of course, that's subjective).

Not to mention that the devs make a lot less in the process since there's a much smaller slice of pie for everyone.

I'm not quite sure where you got that idea. I do not know the share provided by MH2 or the retail bundle, but compared to MH1's estimates, I would think our devs are making far more. Maybe that's changed in recent MH sales, I won't make any assumptions without internal knowledge of MH. smile

Anyways, personally, I think this will be quite successful, even though we're relative newcomers to this game. I'm confident in our lineup because these developers are just outstanding people, who've really put a lot of hard work and time into their products. If you've got a few minutes, please visit the site in a little bit once it opens in July (or sign up for the newsletter). I apologize to the Directorate if this seems like we're stealing MH's thunder, but I've always believed discussion and a little competition does everyone a lot of good.

Cheers and best wishes to all!

June 28, 2008 2:30 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

rampancy wrote:

So this leads to an awkward question: if I really need given app X, would it make sense to buy it now, or wait in case it's included in the next MH or MU Promo bundle?

In the case like this, I'd just about always say that it makes sense to buy it now. It's a great way to support hard-working developers, plus if you really need it now, you don't have to wait around for it to possibly come up at a discount.

Bundles are great for apps that you'd want to have but generally wouldn't have plunked down the full cost for. They're also great for finding out about great apps that you wouldn't have known about otherwise.

rampancy wrote:

Well, a professional can prove me wrong on this, but the height and narrowness of the letters are to me a tell tale sign that he's or she's used Lucida Grande as a stand-in for Myriad Pro - in my experience, the letters in Myriad Pro seem somewhat thicker and squatter than the letters in Lucida Grande.

Look at the 'a', 't', and 'y'. I'd say it's Myriad.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 28, 2008 2:33 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

johnred wrote:

Bundles are great for apps that you'd want to have but generally wouldn't have plunked down the full cost for. They're also great for finding out about great apps that you wouldn't have known about otherwise.

You are so right! 

I've said many times that Awaken was one of my favorite gems of all the bundle apps (there are others, but this one is my favorite).  I would have never bought it, but after getting it in the bundle and playing around with it, I love it!  I use it several times each day, not so much for the "wake up" alarm, but for all sorts of reminders that I would otherwise forget about.  It helps that Jerry is just outstanding with support, and is one of the most involved and receptive devs I've ever dealt wtih (and Happy Birthday if you see this Jerry!).

You've just read my signature

June 28, 2008 2:44 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

i suspect 'waiting to see if its in the bundle' is exactly what devs cringe at...

i've also been curious about the license swapping...is this a case of surplus licenses finding a good home and actually seeing some use, or one of fewer overall purchases...(i.e. cannibalizing sales).

i suspect it's relatively isolated, although i did see a couple MU-promo parallels licenses on ebay shortly after the sale...

edited to add - I'm a big fan of swapping them around...rather than sitting un-used on my computer..but everyone i trade with is so supportive of mac shareware, i have no doubt devs are getting their fair share.

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

June 28, 2008 2:48 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

hiddengiant wrote:
johnred wrote:

Not to mention that the devs make a lot less in the process since there's a much smaller slice of pie for everyone.

I'm not quite sure where you got that idea. I do not know the share provided by MH2 or the retail bundle, but compared to MH1's estimates, I would think our devs are making far more. Maybe that's changed in recent MH sales, I won't make any assumptions without internal knowledge of MH. smile

For one, the "estimates" that are often cited have been wildly inaccurate conjecture. But that's not the point I'm making...

What I'm referring to is basic math. Assuming that you have a bundle that gives the buyer the same value (14 apps worth around $500 for $49) and you allow the buyer to choose from a pool of apps then that obviously means that you have many more than 14 developers involved in this. Let's assume they can pick from twice the amount they end up with (28) then that means on average the developers would make around half the amount they would if there were only 14 in the promotion.

Moreover is the fact that the dev's exposure is seriously diluted (one of the main factors for them participating in a MacHeist).

Now combine that with the fact that this is coming out of nowhere, with private domain registration, and with the principal coming to our forums with a username like "hiddengiant", it's hard for me to not be very skeptical. Why the anonymity?

hiddengiant wrote:

Anyways, personally, I think this will be quite successful, even though we're relative newcomers to this game. I'm confident in our lineup because these developers are just outstanding people, who've really put a lot of hard work and time into their products. If you've got a few minutes, please visit the site in a little bit once it opens in July (or sign up for the newsletter). I apologize to the Directorate if this seems like we're stealing MH's thunder, but I've always believed discussion and a little competition does everyone a lot of good.

No prob. I welcome all competition with open arms. big_smile

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 28, 2008 2:50 am

hiddengiant

Urchin

3 posts

In the case like this, I'd just about always say that it makes sense to buy it now. It's a great way to support hard-working developers, plus if you really need it now, you don't have to wait around for it to possibly come up at a discount.

Bundles are great for apps that you'd want to have but generally wouldn't have plunked down the full cost for. They're also great for finding out about great apps that you wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Well said, good sir. That's the exact mentality one should have when organizing a bundle sale.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Parallels again if it ends up cheaper than the current bundle.

smile....

What I'm referring to is basic math. Assuming that you have a bundle that gives the buyer the same value (14 apps worth around $500 for $49) and you allow the buyer to choose from a pool of apps then that obviously means that you have many more than 14 developers involved in this. Let's assume they can pick from twice the amount they end up with (28) then that means on average the developers would make around half the amount they would if there were only 14 in the promotion.

I refer not to gross income since not everyone developer will be grabbing a share from every bundle (since unlike MH bundles, not every app is in every bundle), but rather to per license income. Mathematically speaking, the revenue per license will be anywhere from a little to several times greater (based on potentially wildly inaccurate conjecture). wink

And thanks for the warm welcome. Skepticism is totally understandable - all I ask is that you all stick around for the July unveiling.

June 28, 2008 2:56 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Using WhatTheFont, it says it is Myriad Pro.

http://img.skitch.com/20080628-g9ca7tc3xim97sqkhaw4gtcwk7.preview.jpg

Flickr

June 28, 2008 2:59 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

hiddengiant wrote:

I refer not to gross income since not everyone developer will be grabbing a share from every bundle (since unlike MH bundles, not every app is in every bundle), but rather to per license income. Mathematically speaking, the revenue per license will be anywhere from a little to several times greater (based on potentially wildly inaccurate conjecture). wink

this is what i was talking about - i guess if you're dev 13, and only 5% of 10k purchasers pick your app, you only sell 500 licenses...

personally, as a consumer, i like both ideas...as a dev?  i have no clue which would be better...

i guess it depends on the discount?  bundled sales give you a lot for the $ since they (seem to) assume you wont use all 12-14 apps fully...you'll focus on the ones you wanted, and the others you discover.

pick and choose bundles, you get more what you want, but i assume you have to charge a greater premium, and you dont get that "wow, i had no idea this app was so cool" factor...guess we'll see?  smile

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

June 28, 2008 3:10 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

hiddengiant wrote:

I refer not to gross income since not everyone developer will be grabbing a share from every bundle (since unlike MH bundles, not every app is in every bundle), but rather to per license income. Mathematically speaking, the revenue per license will be anywhere from a little to several times greater (based on potentially wildly inaccurate conjecture). wink

And thanks for the warm welcome. Skepticism is totally understandable - all I ask is that you all stick around for the July unveiling.

The whole point to doing a promotion like this is to get the big numbers (from the developer's point of view). If you're just giving a "big cut" and have no real way to promote the event, then what's the benefit?

For example, right now on my site, I'm selling a "1-app bundle" of iClip. For $29. The cut to me, the developer: 100%. But I'm not selling thousands of copies per day. Will I include iClip in a promotion like MacHeist (assuming that I wasn't one of the directors) where I don't get anywhere near 100% of the $29 per copy? Undoubtably. Would I go for something like one of Howsen's promotions? No way. I've been asked to participate in his and similar and I simply don't see the value in it.

This may be taken as a defensive rant but it's rather one of a realist (or skeptic at best).

In any case, you didn't answer my question about the anonymity. This is suspiciously similar to another promotion that was going to go on last summer but never materialized (that one had private registration too). I forgot what it was called but maybe someone can remember. hmm

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 28, 2008 4:14 am
paradime

paradime

Automaton Tech

470 posts

Hmm...interesting but I've skipped out on some of the previous MacHeist and MU offers because of all the repeats.

I wish you could pick from a group of apps but I understand John's reasons as why he doesn't want to.

Either way, competition is a good thing and I'm hoping that MacHeist, MU, MacZot, and everything else that comes along will up the ante, so to speak, on the bundle concept.

I'm hoping someone, somewhere will offer something new and exciting. Maybe Make Your Own Mac Mix will come to the rescue...if it's for real.

Man is a genius when he is dreaming.
- Akira Kurosawa

June 28, 2008 4:35 am

hiddengiant

Urchin

3 posts

You're right, John. Though to be fair, I think the reason you hold that view is that you're vastly underestimating the volume we can move, based on our stellar lineup. That's similar to me going by John Gruber's MH1 estimates for developer profit share at around 1.1%, even though I have no verified knowledge of MH2 and beyond. I guess that stems from your skepticism.

As for the "anonymity", I randomly started this account just to express my surprise (and pleasure) in realizing that news has spread even to MacHeist. If you want, I can start a new account and use that from now on. As for the private registration, it came free, so I figured why not. wink

Anyways, like I said, all I ask is for patience until the unveiling later on. Cheers, friends.

June 28, 2008 4:44 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

hiddengiant wrote:

You're right, John. Though to be fair, I think the reason you hold that view is that you're vastly underestimating the volume we can move, based on our stellar lineup. That's similar to me going by John Gruber's MH1 estimates for developer profit share at around 1.1%, even though I have no verified knowledge of MH2 and beyond. I guess that stems from your skepticism.

As for the "anonymity", I randomly started this account just to express my surprise (and pleasure) in realizing that news has spread even to MacHeist. If you want, I can start a new account and use that from now on. As for the private registration, it came free, so I figured why not. wink

Anyways, like I said, all I ask is for patience until the unveiling later on. Cheers, friends.

And as I mentioned before, apps alone don't make for big sales. Without an effective plan to promote this, which includes a significant marketing budget, you may just be spinning your wheels as other promoters have done in the past. The only other one that's done relatively well has been MUPromo and they've had a substantial marketing budget. But I'll wait and see how it all goes. Like I mentioned, I'm sure I'll learn something from this so I'll definitely be watching, as I do with all competing promotions.

The private registration rationale isn't a good enough one from my point of view. Many, many people have been burned by fly-by-night promotions (take a look at the Howsen thread) and hiding behind a wall of anonymity isn't a good thing as far as both customers and developers are concerned. Take my advice here... if you have nothing to hide, announce who you are and get rid of the private registration. It'll help build trust and you need that for something like this.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 28, 2008 4:58 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Another thing that I just looked into is that Mr. or Ms. "hiddengiant" is using a proxy to login here (I checked the IP). This is getting awfully suspicious. I hope the developers involved in this promotion are doing their homework and checking credentials...

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 29, 2008 12:53 am
rampancy

rampancy

Moderator

from Denial.
3,889 posts

johnred wrote:

In any case, you didn't answer my question about the anonymity. This is suspiciously similar to another promotion that was going to go on last summer but never materialized (that one had private registration too). I forgot what it was called but maybe someone can remember. hmm

The only one I can think of is The Mac Bundle. That didn't come with any registration, just a sparse teaser page. I've seen it also mentioned on Pownce and Twitter, but I've not heard anything about it since.

My guess is that it was someone else trying to orchestrate their own bundle, but the effort just died early, likely due to lack of developers.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 29, 2008 1:33 am

Mac Mix Promo

Urchin

7 posts

Actually, no I wasn't. I was at a public library. But I'm glad to see you're checking into everything, clearly with the interest of protecting Mac users in mind. Forgive me if I am out of line, but I sense a little teensy bit of worry that we just might be actual competition for MacHeist. Perhaps you could refocus your effort on addressing the concerns, advice, and requests of disgruntled MacHeist users?

Like I said, please just have patience and wait until the grand unveiling. Once you see the genuine effort we have put into this project, you'll realize how unfounded these fears are.

Truly, all I ask from you John is for you to not ruin our promo before it even begins. We just want a fair chance. We hold no ill will towards MacHeist (far from it actually, we highly respect you for what you've done) and have made no attempts to dissuade potential MH buyers, so all we ask is that you do the same for us.

June 29, 2008 2:11 am
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

Oh, the drama.

<insert out-dated referral link here>

June 29, 2008 2:37 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

tech wrote:

Oh, the drama.

+1

Iced Cocoa | KVN Media | Vimeo | Flickr | TwitterPM

June 29, 2008 2:39 am

Mac Mix Promo

Urchin

7 posts

Haha, I agree. And I love you username, NothngUpMySleeve... maybe I should have named my account that. wink

June 29, 2008 2:47 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

Haha, I agree. And I love you username, NothngUpMySleeve... maybe I should have named my account that. wink

Gracias! big_smile

Iced Cocoa | KVN Media | Vimeo | Flickr | TwitterPM

June 29, 2008 2:49 am
sanjaymehta

sanjaymehta

Automaton Tech

134 posts

A quick google search finds a couple of links:

One post wonder user grinningcat158 posts on neowin.net:
"I just saw this page on slickdeals.net:

www.macmixpromo.com

apparently it should have some pretty good deals on mac software. "

Another one post wonder user dimensionfrog42 posts on appleinsider.com, says he heard about this on macheist.com:

"I heard about this site on the macheist forums:

www.macmixpromo.com

anyone have more info?"

I smell a rat, with the initials MH.

EDIT: arrggh .... MH != MacHeist. Anyway, rats have names. Websites can't be rats.

June 29, 2008 3:43 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

oh, you mean Mark Howsen, not Mac Heist.  i had to think about that one for a minute...

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

June 29, 2008 3:48 am
emorydunn

emorydunn

Dirigible Captain

from Savannah, Georgia
3,484 posts

sanjaymehta wrote:

A quick google search finds a couple of links:

One post wonder user grinningcat158 posts on neowin.net:
"I just saw this page on slickdeals.net:

www.macmixpromo.com

apparently it should have some pretty good deals on mac software. "

Another one post wonder user dimensionfrog42 posts on appleinsider.com, says he heard about this on macheist.com:

"I heard about this site on the macheist forums:

www.macmixpromo.com

anyone have more info?"

I smell a rat, with the initials MH.

Now THAT would be the biggest rat (can someone say super-rat) that MH would have ever done. I can almost see it, esspecially with the open debate to try and make it seem unrelated... but I don't know... seems like an awful lot of speculation... wait I think I might have just confirmed it! Yikes!

But really, if the two promos (MH and MMP) were the same... I don't know I'm gonna have to say no, they aren't the same... but who knows: I would (kinda) love to be wrong).

EDIT: Ooooohhhhhhh...... Mark... him too...


Website || Twitter || 500px

June 29, 2008 3:52 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

Actually, no I wasn't. I was at a public library. But I'm glad to see you're checking into everything, clearly with the interest of protecting Mac users in mind. Forgive me if I am out of line, but I sense a little teensy bit of worry that we just might be actual competition for MacHeist. Perhaps you could refocus your effort on addressing the concerns, advice, and requests of disgruntled MacHeist users?

Like I said, please just have patience and wait until the grand unveiling. Once you see the genuine effort we have put into this project, you'll realize how unfounded these fears are.

Truly, all I ask from you John is for you to not ruin our promo before it even begins. We just want a fair chance. We hold no ill will towards MacHeist (far from it actually, we highly respect you for what you've done) and have made no attempts to dissuade potential MH buyers, so all we ask is that you do the same for us.

Yes, I'm worried. But honestly, not about you being competition for MacHeist. My main concern is about potential fly-by-night sites popping-up, scamming people out of their hard earned money, then closing up shop with some lame-ass "apology". This is what Howsen did and his actions hurt us because there've been a lot of people who've mistaken his promotions for ours. We've worked hard to build up our reputation and I'm going to work equally hard at keeping it up.

And I'm not saying that scamming people is what you're setting out to do. It's just a major concern of mine. Add that to the fact that I don't think you're being at all up-front about the "library" thing (the other posts you made were coming from the IP 67.159.44.138, which, if you do a quick Google search, shows that it's the IP of the proxy hidemyass.com. Not good.

Bear in mind that I don't normally go out on a limb to police the bundlesphere. It's simply not my duty. I mainly watched the whole Howsen thing from the sidelines because there really wasn't anything I could've added to it. But in this case, some things just aren't adding up and since I was able to quickly flag the inconsistencies, I felt obligated to share this info with the our users since these are the MacHeist forums after all.

It's not like us to censor any competition on these forums. I'm sure you've seen countless threads talking about other great Mac deals and we totally welcome and encourage them. Likewise, if someone finds out about some sort of scam regarding any Mac promotion, our forums are a good place to talk about them too. In this case, I happened to be the one to discover the issues, so I posted them.

Also, I don't think you're at all genuine when you say things like "We hold no ill will towards MacHeist and have made no attempts to dissuade potential MH buyers", yet you lead this post in with a li'l mix of passive aggression and hostility with, "Perhaps you could refocus your effort on addressing the concerns, advice, and requests of disgruntled MacHeist users?".

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 29, 2008 3:58 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

*sigh* If it is Mark Howson, I will be truly, truly disappointed. Why go and start another "venture" when he still has a rather large customer base that he has f*cked over, myself being one of them? We still all want our money back. I will never trust him with my money ever again, and will never recommend someone else to trust their money in him ever again.

Finish what you started.

Flickr

June 29, 2008 4:00 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

emorydunn wrote:
sanjaymehta wrote:

A quick google search finds a couple of links:

One post wonder user grinningcat158 posts on neowin.net:
"I just saw this page on slickdeals.net:

www.macmixpromo.com

apparently it should have some pretty good deals on mac software. "

Another one post wonder user dimensionfrog42 posts on appleinsider.com, says he heard about this on macheist.com:

"I heard about this site on the macheist forums:

www.macmixpromo.com

anyone have more info?"

I smell a rat, with the initials MH.

Now THAT would be the biggest rat (can someone say super-rat) that MH would have ever done. I can almost see it, esspecially with the open debate to try and make it seem unrelated... but I don't know... seems like an awful lot of speculation... wait I think I might have just confirmed it! Yikes!

But really, if the two promos (MH and MMP) were the same... I don't know I'm gonna have to say no, they aren't the same... but who knows: I would (kinda) love to be wrong).

EDIT: Ooooohhhhhhh...... Mark... him too...

If we ever did that, I'd hope that we'd get publicly disemboweled. It's definitely not us.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 29, 2008 4:03 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

johnred wrote:

Yes, I'm worried. But honestly, not about you being competition for MacHeist. My main concern is about potential fly-by-night sites popping-up, scamming people out of their hard earned money, then closing up shop with some lame-ass "apology". This is what Howsen did and his actions hurt us because there've been a lot of people who've mistakened his promotions for ours. We've worked hard to build up our reputation and I'm going to work equally hard at keeping it up.

[...]

Well said John. I won't trust this promotion until I can put a name to who is running it. If this person has nothing to hide, why not just tell us who they are?

Flickr

June 29, 2008 4:05 am
sanjaymehta

sanjaymehta

Automaton Tech

134 posts

johnred wrote:
emorydunn wrote:
sanjaymehta wrote:

A quick google search finds a couple of links:

One post wonder user grinningcat158 posts on neowin.net:
"I just saw this page on slickdeals.net:

www.macmixpromo.com

apparently it should have some pretty good deals on mac software. "

Another one post wonder user dimensionfrog42 posts on appleinsider.com, says he heard about this on macheist.com:

"I heard about this site on the macheist forums:

www.macmixpromo.com

anyone have more info?"

I smell a rat, with the initials MH.

Now THAT would be the biggest rat (can someone say super-rat) that MH would have ever done. I can almost see it, esspecially with the open debate to try and make it seem unrelated... but I don't know... seems like an awful lot of speculation... wait I think I might have just confirmed it! Yikes!

But really, if the two promos (MH and MMP) were the same... I don't know I'm gonna have to say no, they aren't the same... but who knows: I would (kinda) love to be wrong).

EDIT: Ooooohhhhhhh...... Mark... him too...

If we ever did that, I'd hope that we'd get publicly disemboweled. It's definitely not us.

Sorry for that - never intended to imply that. Master Mark is the one I meant.

June 29, 2008 4:17 am

Mac Mix Promo

Urchin

7 posts

John, that statement was merely a reply to your persistent and rather insistent pressing. If everyone would reread our respective comments, I think it's very clear that it is you that has been "passive aggressive" and "hostile" to us. Not once before then have I made anything even remotely aggressive.

Boboboe and everyone, you'll know everything once the main site launches. It's a teaser page with a newslist sign up. What kind of devilish trickery can we be concocting with that? When the main site launches in July, everyone can take a good look for themselves and decide if they want to buy and whether or not we are in fact legitimate. Correct me if I'm mistaken, John, but I believe MacHeist users are intelligent individuals that do not need you specifically to watch over every step they take.

Patience, friends. That is all we ask.

June 29, 2008 4:20 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

John, that statement was merely a reply to your persistent and rather insistent pressing. If everyone would reread our respective comments, I think it's very clear that it is you that has been "passive aggressive" and "hostile" to us. Not once before then have I made anything even remotely aggressive.

Boboboe and everyone, you'll know everything once the main site launches. It's a teaser page with a newslist sign up. What kind of devilish trickery can we be concocting with that? When the main site launches in July, everyone can take a good look for themselves and decide if they want to buy and whether or not we are in fact legitimate. Correct me if I'm mistaken, John, but I believe MacHeist users are intelligent individuals that do not need you specifically to watch over every step they take.

Patience, friends. That is all we ask.

/sigh

So are you suggesting that when I identify a potential scam, I not say anything about it to our users??? Jeez. I know I'd appreciate it if someone warned me ahead of time on something like this if they had info that I didn't have access to.

And as for the "what kind of devilish trickery can we be concocting" thing, I'd say potentially lots given the proxy/library BS.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about who's being passive aggressive and hostile. Ya know... I would've let this whole thing die if you were just up front about things early on. Now you're just digging yourself a huge hole.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 29, 2008 4:38 am
sanjaymehta

sanjaymehta

Automaton Tech

134 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

John, that statement was merely a reply to your persistent and rather insistent pressing. If everyone would reread our respective comments, I think it's very clear that it is you that has been "passive aggressive" and "hostile" to us. Not once before then have I made anything even remotely aggressive.

Boboboe and everyone, you'll know everything once the main site launches. It's a teaser page with a newslist sign up. What kind of devilish trickery can we be concocting with that? When the main site launches in July, everyone can take a good look for themselves and decide if they want to buy and whether or not we are in fact legitimate. Correct me if I'm mistaken, John, but I believe MacHeist users are intelligent individuals that do not need you specifically to watch over every step they take.

Patience, friends. That is all we ask.

Fair enough. All I have to ask is where you are Mark Howson, or associated with him in any way?

Yes or no.

June 29, 2008 4:42 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

John, that statement was merely a reply to your persistent and rather insistent pressing. If everyone would reread our respective comments, I think it's very clear that it is you that has been "passive aggressive" and "hostile" to us. Not once before then have I made anything even remotely aggressive.

Boboboe and everyone, you'll know everything once the main site launches. It's a teaser page with a newslist sign up. What kind of devilish trickery can we be concocting with that? When the main site launches in July, everyone can take a good look for themselves and decide if they want to buy and whether or not we are in fact legitimate. Correct me if I'm mistaken, John, but I believe MacHeist users are intelligent individuals that do not need you specifically to watch over every step they take.

Patience, friends. That is all we ask.

It is the fact that you were caught in a lie that is making everyone uneasy. After being screwed over by Mark Howson, any promotion that seems like they are hiding something sets off the alarm bells in my head.

John hasn't been hostile in this thread. I am glad that he brought this up. He was simply bringing to the attention of the members of the forums he created that there is a potential for this promotion to turn south.

I hope that in the end that this all turns out fine, and that you do put on a wonderful bundle, but only time will tell.

Flickr

June 29, 2008 4:44 am

Mac Mix Promo

Urchin

7 posts

Sure, sure, John. That's fair. It just seems to me that you've paid an awfully disproportionate amount of attention on us... perhaps because we're a competitor?

Regardless, if we are really intent upon tricky/scamming/whatever the kind Mac users out there, they'll see when we go public. And then they themsevles can decide not to buy our bundle if they believe we are trying to fool them. Again, I reaffirm that we are not attempting to trick anyone out of their money, especially not in this time of economic crisis.

It seems I've outworn my welcome here at MacHeist. Too bad, I started to really enjoy talking to some of you. Hopefully, we'll be chatting again shortly in the future. wink

Like I've said several times, sure you may have doubts, but just please bookmark us or something and have patience. Soon, you can all see for yourselves, and I'm confident that you'll be convinced.

Best wishes and kindest regards! smile

edit: boboboe, thank you for keeping an open mind. Mark your calendars, July is coming!

June 29, 2008 4:48 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

Sure, sure, John. That's fair. It just seems to me that you've paid an awfully disproportionate amount of attention on us... perhaps because we're a competitor?

Heh. He has said this twice before. He welcomes competition, he just doesn't want us to get scammed.

And also, (just stating the facts here) John and the MH crew have sold thousands (very close to hundreds of thousands) of bundles, and put on many promotions in the past few years. All other people who have put on bundle promotions have not been able to replicate the success of MacHeist, though some have come close. You guys are going to have to work very hard to be a serious competitor to MacHeist.

Another "also." Your page does not have a document declaration, and therefore is not valid HTML. You should run your page through the W3C validation service and make sure that it complies.

Flickr

June 29, 2008 4:51 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

Sure, sure, John. That's fair. It just seems to me that you've paid an awfully disproportionate amount of attention on us... perhaps because we're a competitor?

Uh, I think you're the one who drew attention to yourself.

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

It seems I've outworn my welcome here at MacHeist. Too bad, I started to really enjoy talking to some of you. Hopefully, we'll be chatting again shortly in the future. wink

You kinda went about it the wrong way if you wanted to start a "friendly" dialogue.

Mac Mix Promo wrote:

Like I've said several times, sure you may have doubts.....

Well, it's hard not to have doubts when you are caught in a lie and don't own up to it or attempt any explanation.

I truly hope you're on the up and up and just got off to a bad start.  You'll still have a chance to redeem yourself.  Future actions will tell the tale.

You've just read my signature

June 29, 2008 5:07 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Interestingly enough, the IP address of "Mac Mix Promo" and the one from the person who started this thread off, joshufucqer, are coming from the same host. I seriously doubt this is coincidence at this point, especially given the fact that almost every one of joshufucqer's posts so far have been pretty negative toward us. And this explains the proxy thing.

I'm calling shenanigans on this "promotion" at this point. May the buyer beware...

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 29, 2008 5:10 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

i guess they're all hanging out at the library.  smile

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

June 29, 2008 5:36 am
sanjaymehta

sanjaymehta

Automaton Tech

134 posts

It's Howson. I'm sure of it. The language, the modus operandi everything smells of him.

June 29, 2008 9:43 am
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Make Your Own Mac Mix??

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?