Forums

What made you switch?

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » What made you switch?
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

I'd have to think, thanks to Vista, or other circumstances most people moved from a Windows machine to a Mac.

In my case the straw ended up being Dell Customer Service more than anything else. Vista wasn't a great experience but I didn't find it as bad as many have reported.

Briefly I was a Mac guy for years, moved to a Windows machine while going through some Networking course work at the local tech school. Now I'm back on a MacBook Pro and haven't looked back.

What pushed you to the Mac, or back to the Mac?

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

January 25, 2009 10:52 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

I wanted to setup a small studio and use ProTools.
I asked my cousin for advise since he had more experience working with Macs. His advise was excellent. He said, if you're working with other Mac users, get a Mac. If you're working with PC users, get a PC. Focus on compatibility. So I got a Mac.

Things have changed, and compatibility is no longer such a big issue these days. I have no loyalty to any OS. I will use the one that allows me to be more productive. Unfortunately Apple's lack of adequate support for PPC is making me consider switching to Windows, or at the very least getting a Mac that can run Windows. I think that this was a HUGE step by Apple.

Regarding customer service, my experiences with Apple have been pretty bad. I've only had to contact them a handful of times in the past 10 years, and not once have they been able to provide a solution. Last time I called them was probably over a year ago.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 25, 2009 11:08 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

I wan't pushed in - I got sucked in (or suckered in, depending on point of view).

I worked as a sysadmin for a decade and a half, using Linux, HPUX and OSF/1 / Digital Unix as my workstations.

In '02 I bought a used blue-and-white mac to test OS X 10.2.

What I got was everything I already had, but with a nice GUI on top.

That sold a bit.

I still miss KDE, but when the longing hits, I just fire up VMWare tongue

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

January 25, 2009 11:09 pm
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,561 posts

Never been a PC user.
I'm what you'd call a Pureblood.

January 25, 2009 11:18 pm
markr

markr

Big Game Hunter

559 posts

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

I have no loyalty to any OS. I will use the one that allows me to be more productive.

For me that would be XP. The company bought my macs though and they do for work.

January 25, 2009 11:19 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

My first computer was a 1998 iMac running Mac OS 8.1. It was upgraded through to 8.6. Around 8.5 I got VirtualPC, which was new and exciting to me. I then used Windows machines for five years or so, but deep down I always longed for a Mac. I had seen OS X running on an iBook and it awed me. Eventually, three years ago, I got hold of a second-hand iBook G4 and have been using macs ever since.

Three people I know have switched to Macintosh over the past two months, all citing one reason: Vista.

That original '98 iMac is still down in my cellar. It still works perfectly, except the CD drive, which works rather imperfectly. It's quite amusing to read the specifications on the box.

January 25, 2009 11:23 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

markr wrote:
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

I have no loyalty to any OS. I will use the one that allows me to be more productive.

For me that would be XP. The company bought my macs though and they do for work.

At the office we had Windows XP. The CEO had Macs at home, and we talked about switching to Macs. It was not a good idea so we stayed with Windows.

@WhiteFang, any suggestions for running KDE?
I installed openSUSE, and read that KDE 4 was very buggy. I think I tried Gnome but I erased that partition after a day or two. My computer would freeze when shutting down, and I often ran into unexpected behavior regarding sound, video, etc.
I love the ideas behind Linux and a helpful community offering support.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 25, 2009 11:30 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

@bob: for the moment, stay with KDE 3. KDE 4 is and will be crap for some time.

Even Linus Torvalds gave up on it and switched to Gnome neutral

January 26, 2009 12:02 am
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

@bob: for the moment, stay with KDE 3. KDE 4 is and will be crap for some time.

Even Linus Torvalds gave up on it and switched to Gnome neutral

I read the same article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/0 … tml?page=6

When it comes to Linux I actually prefer Gnome. But it's really user preference.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

January 26, 2009 12:06 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

Thanks WhiteFang.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 26, 2009 12:23 am
emorydunn

emorydunn

Dirigible Captain

from Savannah, Georgia
3,484 posts

I've always used Macs, my dad used to work for Apple so that got me on them pretty early. The only dark patch was my first personal computer, one that wasn't shared, was a Windows '98 laptop of some sort. Honestly, that was one of the best Windows computers I ever used. But I got an iBook for Christmas in seventh grade and I now try and avoid using a PC whenever possible.

Website || Twitter || 500px

January 26, 2009 12:53 am
UnknownVariable

UnknownVariable

Tinkerer

11 posts

I wanted to advance myself in the realm of Unix and test the waters of Mac programming. I used to be part of the "hate macs" crowd, but unfounded hate on either side is honestly quite pointless.

As it is now, I use my mac for daily tasks, my windows computer for gaming, and a linux machine for my all-purpose server.

I'm quite happy to use all three systems in the major trio. I sometimes test out other operating systems just to play around - various flavors of BSD, Solaris, etc. In the future I know I'll be more acquainted with other, perhaps more "exotic" operating systems, but that's for another day. Their time will come, just as the day came when I gave in to the call of a mac. tongue

January 26, 2009 1:06 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Two things prompted my switch in November '06.
Apple switched to Intel's Core 2 Duo and they released the Boot Camp Beta. I was perfectly happy with Windows XP but I liked the MB Pro's Zero Halliburton design and OS X was getting rave reviews.

I gave XP a 50 GB Boot Camp partition buy only used it for Photoshop, Office, and Quicken. I loved OS X and the Mac! Parallels made using two OS's more palatable but then Adobe released CS 3 and I deleted my Boot Camp partition.

Vista was released around that time. I sold my copy, which I pre-ordered but never used, on Amazon's marketplace.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 26, 2009 1:17 am
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Err, my family has always used Macs. We have probably owned 3 or 4 PCs since I've been born. Right now we've got 4 Macs and 1 PC in the house.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

January 26, 2009 1:20 am
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

I've never owned a PC. My first mac was a PPC 601C Performa 6200CD. That thing was awful. I replaced it within two years with one of the original G3s. I had that machine for 8 years (8 YEARS!!!), until I replaced it with a G5. I guess I still have another 4 or 5 years to go on this G5 before I get to make the Intel transition. We currently have an iMac (bondi blue) for the kids, my G5, and a Powerbook G4. So I guess I have a G3, a G4, and a G5.

I have just never wanted the headache of dealing with Windows...especially the virus protection/spyware/malware junk. I didn't have virus protection on my G5 at all until I got VirusBarrier with the MacUpdate Promo Bundle. I'm still not convinced I need it, but it doesn't seem to slow my machine down at all, so I'll use it.

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

January 26, 2009 4:35 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

I got into video production a few years ago. After shooting some 'films,' I edited them with Windows Movie Maker. It didn't seem that bad at the time (and, man, was I wrong), but after I added too many effects or transitions, it would freeze up and I couldn't do anything; it did this every time. That Christmas, I wanted a laptop. I did a lot of homework and finally decided on a Mac. At the time, Macs were a thing of mystery to me. I hadn't really ever seen one or even used one (except in elementary school, but I didn't realize that those were Macs until a year after I got mine). Looking back, it was obviously a great decision and I'm glad I didn't go with a PC.

Iced Cocoa | KVN Media | Vimeo | Flickr | TwitterPM

January 26, 2009 5:00 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Read a review about Mac line of products in a local windows magazine, decided It would be cool to try something really different, selected Mac mini 1.66GHz, since it was the cheapest Mac available

In turns out Mac is a lot better OS and has a lot of ultra cool 3rd apps. But that doesn't make me dislike windows and denounce it wherever & whenever possible like a lot of switchers (the most annoying non-smokers are ex-smokers thing)

Thanks a Lot

January 26, 2009 5:32 am
MrStinkEye

MrStinkEye

Automaton Tech

from Out there.. thatta way
284 posts

jdhoss wrote:

What pushed you to the Mac, or back to the Mac?

Windows!  (grrr....)

I bought my first Power Mac in 2001 and have never looked back.  Microsoft had just released XP and I just got tired of feeling like I had a gun pointed at my head every time I got on my PC.  Not to mention the stability and reliability issues that crop up over time using Windows.

Whadda you lookin' at?

January 26, 2009 7:58 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Vista, pure & simple.

The deciding point was in the 1st few days when I couldn't download a driver for my Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse from the Microsoft site using Microsoft Internet Explorer because the file on the site was a .exe.

I had to use Firefox to get it.

We subsequently had an issue where we had bought Vista Premium thinking it to be the equivalent of XP Pro only to discover Remote Desktop wasn't included.  A quick call to MS support and we were told it would cost as much to upgrade as it would to buy it again as an OEM.

Hello Apple smile

I haven't looked back since.  Even if Windows7 turns out to be the best thing ever I'm sure I won't be buying without an "I'm sorry" style upgrade price for Vista users.

Mark.

January 26, 2009 8:32 am
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

After my dad started using Macs over Acorn computers in the early/mid-nineties, we slowly started replacing our old PCs by Macs. OS X was probably the biggest incentive though, because beforehand, I can't remember Mac OS making much of an impression on us.
Simply put, we never felt the need to buy PCs, except for my mother, who still has to use a laptop issued by the university for which she works.
Until a few years ago, we still used a couple of family PCs for gaming. One remains, but it's mostly used by one person, myself, and that's 90% of the time either to scan stuff (it's right next to a scanner, so we can then use the network to transfer the files easily from one central hard drive) or to test websites on Internet Explorer.

Anecdote: I was surprised to see how many files on said PC were infected after just a few hours (spread over several weeks) of using Internet Explorer. It was amazing wink

That said, there's a possibility I might have to switch in part in the coming years, because some law firms over here have only Windows PCs with old connectivity systems. Bother…

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

January 26, 2009 8:43 am
iamcarlo

iamcarlo

Automaton Tech

138 posts

The death of the Amiga Computer (Yes, I know the Amiga OS is still around, sort of). Before that I was recommending computers in this order, Amiga, Windows (because they were cheap) then Mac. However, my father's Graphic Design company were all using Macs so when the Amiga died I got into using Macs. I still remember how people mocked the Amiga as a toy since it did "multimedia" and "multitasking" rather than business. I used to subtitle videos using the Amiga and some custom software.

Wherever you go, there you are.
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

January 26, 2009 9:44 am
toadman

toadman

Tinkerer

from Hawaii
14 posts

The MOUSE!

I traded in my C64 for a Mac Plus after a friend of mine showed me the wonders of point and click.

Twitter

January 26, 2009 10:42 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

iamcarlo wrote:

The death of the Amiga Computer (Yes, I know the Amiga OS is still around, sort of). Before that I was recommending computers in this order, Amiga, Windows (because they were cheap) then Mac. However, my father's Graphic Design company were all using Macs so when the Amiga died I got into using Macs. I still remember how people mocked the Amiga as a toy since it did "multimedia" and "multitasking" rather than business. I used to subtitle videos using the Amiga and some custom software.

That was similar for me (I still have my Amiga 1000 somewhere). I did switch to the Dark Side for a short burst before getting my first Mac, though.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

January 26, 2009 10:45 am
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

I came from the same turf - I had a couple of A500's (I still have one A500, one A1200 and a couple of A600's big_smile).

The Mac didn't provide the CLI that the Amiga had, so the "dark side" became a more natural choice. Of course, my choice of operating systems has always been on the eccentric side, so for my "first" PC, I dual-booted Windows 2.x and Minix smile

January 26, 2009 1:21 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

January 26, 2009 1:35 pm
jimsteph

jimsteph

Automaton Tech

from Southern Arizona
199 posts

toadman wrote:

The MOUSE!

I traded in my C64 for a Mac Plus after a friend of mine showed me the wonders of point and click.

I had a mouse on my C=128.  I used it with GEOS.  I used GeoWrite and CMD's PerfectPrint LQ to print my first resume after I got out of the Navy.  PerfectPrint LQ was a printer driver that worked with nine pin printers to produce incredible output by using specially designed fonts and using multiple printing passes.  The resume got me an interview with AOL when they opened up their first external call center, and the Navy experience got me the job: the guy who interviewed me had served on the same ship I had about a decade before I got there ... we BS'ed about squidly things for about ten minutes before he remembered he needed to ask me some technical questions to see if I was qualified.

About six months later an opportunity came up in the training department to be the Mac trainer for the site (if you ever got good customer service for AOL Mac, it was one of my students; if not, it was from one of the other call centers wink ).  I bought an incredibly thick book on everything Mac, crammed for a couple of days, and aced the interview.   Then I had to actually learn all of the stuff I had regurgitated.

About two years after that one of my ex-students decided to sell his old 6420, and I finally bought my first Mac.  And aside from the fact that the thing reeked of old cigarettes, it was one of the best computers I've ever owned: it had an external hard drive, I maxed the RAM, installed an ethernet port, installed a G3 accelerator ... man, I had some fun with that thing ...

I don't want to build character, I want to buy it pre-fabricated -- Roy Jacobsen
Team Green

January 26, 2009 3:36 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

iamcarlo wrote:

I grew up on the C64 and Amiga 500 (waxing nostalgic) in the 1980s and early 90s. Then it was Mac all the way as the family and I refused to bow to the evil empire. Ah, how fondly I remember the days of OS7... tongue

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

January 26, 2009 7:25 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

definetheline wrote:

Photobooth.

+1.

No, seriously...  I've been a Windows user since I started learning CAD in DOS. So I've been intimately familiar w/most Windows OS's up through XP. Some time around the end of '06 I got the urge to pick up a Quicksilver G4 running 10.4 just to play around with it. It never really hooked me in, but I soon after got a MBP for work since I needed a new laptop anyway. I started using it every day and getting more and more comfortable with it to the point that I decided I wanted a better Mac at home. I think by now it was fall of 07, when I ordered my 20" Aluminum iMac. After using it for a while, it became quite clear to me that I was a lot happier with the Mac than I ever was with my PC's. We also replaced our aging laptop with a unibody Macbook shortly after they came out.

I guess when I look back, the thing that actually made me switch was the overall package that Apple sells. The hardware, the software, the whole user experience - it's all engineered together, and you can tell. I liked that a lot.

I also think I was motivated by a recognition that Mac's were gaining market share and popularity. Being in the support industry, it was important to me to learn to support Mac's as well. While they used to be (as I remember it) the quirky, expensive computers that the artsy types would have, now a Mac is something entirely different. It's just a well thought-out computer for anybody who wants to do anything. As a result, more people are buying them at work and at home, so more people are needing help. So that played a big role in it for me as well.

PM me | Twitter

January 26, 2009 7:28 pm
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

I use to do tech support for PC's for an outsource company.  Six months of that made me sick of them. However I continued on dealing with them in the work setting until I started to get into video editing.  I decided that Final Cut would be the best option since it has gained tremendous ground in the video field.  After my first couple of days on my Mac I grew to have enormous bitterness to the PC.  Once you go Mac you don't go back.

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

January 26, 2009 11:47 pm
cypher

cypher

Automaton Tech

from UK
479 posts

The MacMini got my attention,  but playing with a beta of Vista made me seriously think did I want to go through the trauma of yet another Windows update.

The final piece in the puzzle was a phone call to MS customer support when I was fixing a laptop for friend.  He had a HP laptop with a genuine copy of XP Pro running,  his system had crashed and I was trying to get it back working for him.  It was a simple repair in that all it needed was to run the repair option from the install disk, however his restore disks wouldn't allow a repair only a reinstall.  He had lots of photo's he wanted to save on his hdd so a reinstall was out of the question. 

As his reinstall disk wouldn't work I decided to use my own to perform the repair and I managed to get his system back up and running.  This is when I fell foul of Microsoft anti-piracy system,  his serial number didn't match my version of XP even though I was only doing a repair his system took on my disks identity.  It also wouldn't let me abort the repair so I was forced to use my own serial number even though I knew the activation would fail later.  After getting his system back up, I wrongly assumed a quick phone call to Microsoft would sort out the activation / serial number problem, we both had genuine copies of XP so it wouldn't be a problem.  However Microsoft's answer to my calls was "You need to buy another copy of XP"  no matter what, all they wanted was more money.   

My friend had three choices, 
1) buy another copy of XP to get a new serial number
2) reinstall his own copy  and loose all his data and setup.
3) pirate it and live happily ever after.

Being an honest guy he choose number 2,  personally I would have gone with number 3.

In the end I had to use a Linux Live CD to run his laptop whilst I painstakingly backed up all of his data,  then I ran the reinstalled his original version.  I then messed about for a long time getting everything set back up again, and returning his data to the harddrive.   All this on a system that had been working 100% other than the activation and could have been sorted in seconds by a more responsible Microsoft

It was at that point I decided that I would never buy MS again. 

I bought my first Mac a week later and I now have 3. 

So a big thanks to Microsoft. They are the reason I switched after almost 25 years as a MS user.

January 27, 2009 11:18 pm
omagedon

omagedon

Gearhead

from Alberta, Canada
84 posts

Never used a MAC before (F/T) until I got a job at a local school board and they gave me all MAC schools, G4 Laptop and later Macbook Pro. First day on, I had to learn how to use a MAC and HOW to support it which was hell but it was fun.

I have since left the position and I had withdrawal so I recently bought a Macbook 2G which I am having fun with wink

||| Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ |||

January 28, 2009 3:11 am
Gordon1470

Gordon1470

Automaton Tech

from Bloomington, IL
403 posts

Simply, I never switched. EVER.

The Master would not approve.

January 28, 2009 4:20 am
cmturner2

cmturner2

Automaton Tech

from Apex, NC
239 posts

I wish I could say I "switched", but, uhm, how far back counts? At this point I have the unmitigated pleasure of working with any OS someone might think to use in a data center.

If I switched, it was from an Atari 800, to a C64, to an Apple IIe, to an Atari ST, to a Mac Plus, and so on...

Currently I'm loving my Mac Pro for all personal and most business computing I do, and my Windows "console" is strictly for gaming (I'm one of those crazy avid gamers in my hobby time).

The only things I sort of lack on the Mac other than specific OS environments I might need to work in are Visio and Project, and I get those via VM when I need them.

Aquila Non Captat Muscas.
Kill for Life. Hate for Love. War for Peace.
The Darkness better defines the Light.

January 30, 2009 5:56 am

drewm

Urchin

5 posts

When I went back to school for my Masters, I was needing (wanting) a laptop (notebook). We have an old Dell. I was lusting over and finally bought a MBP about 18 months ago.

I bought my wife an IMac after she was frustrated with XP. She had sticker shock, but has gotten over it. I only wish I had bought my Apples sooner! I used to have a IIc in a very past life big_smile

January 30, 2009 7:12 am
kalleboo

kalleboo

Staff

from Kagoshima, Japan
265 posts

Never had a PC. Never considered one. My family has always been pure Mac, since my dad brought home a Mac Plus from work on weekends.

Everything is my fault

January 30, 2009 12:00 pm
bhp

bhp

Automaton Tech

from San Antonio, TX
266 posts

About 4 years ago I got a job in publishing as an editor.  All the "creative" side used Macs, only the accounting and ordering departments had Windows.  Up to that point I had only used Mac in school (last time I had touched one was 1996, my senior year), and I remember hating it.  I had never liked Windows, but liked it better than my Mac experience, and used to be a big DOS geek.  After about a week of using Panther, though, I told my wife we were switching.  Later that year they announced the Intel switch and I bought one of the first gen Macbooks.
That job ended up not working out, but without it, I'd probably never have taken the plunge.  I'm not OS X exlcusive, but I enjoy it the best out of the main 3 I use (XP and Ubuntu being the other 2).

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker.
Thomas J. Watson

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

January 30, 2009 7:03 pm
melheist

melheist

Sky Pirate

from Atlantis
1,741 posts

Never switched as well. The only time I've worked on a PC was for animation class in college.

Of course I'm a mermaid... what did you think? roll

January 30, 2009 7:09 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

I never switched. I started out on the Performa 6320/120 CD, which was the bestest best Mac EVAR (LowEndMac be damned). I remember my killer demo which I later did on my 700 MHz G3 iBook was running MS Office X on 10.2 alongside OS 9 apps in Classic, while running my stats package in VirtualPC running XP, while playing a preview version of one of the shorts from The Animatrix, and it was all still quite responsive.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

January 30, 2009 8:09 pm
repete

repete

Automaton Tech

124 posts

I got an SE/30 because I hated command line interfaces.

Time, how short.

February 1, 2009 1:34 pm
bearinggirl

bearinggirl

Automaton Tech

from Pittsburgh
176 posts

About a year ago, my 2 year old Gateway spit the bit.  While shopping for a new PC, all were preloaded with Vista, and this I did not want.  Also, I was pretty sure that my 2002 edition of Quicken, with 10+ years of data, would not be compatible with Vista.  I made a trip to the Apple store, and once I found out about bootcamp, I bought an imac on the spot.  I run a small partition with XP just for Quicken.  I plan on trying the demo of ibank, and if it meets my needs, I will dump the XP partition and not look back.

February 1, 2009 9:54 pm
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

My PC crashed a lot, and I longed for the days when I had a Mac that crashed a lot, but back then there was a little bomb icon to cheer me up a bit.

Unfortunately, the joke was on me, the bomb is gone from OS X.

February 2, 2009 1:43 am
TheMooseIsLoose

TheMooseIsLoose

Automaton Tech

from the North woods
157 posts

Windows XP.  When it came out I've had enough of Microsoft and Windows.  That was 2001.

Coming to you from deep in the North Woods.

February 8, 2009 12:00 am
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

I still like my Amiga error messages best:

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.media/540/Guru_meditation.gif

smile

February 8, 2009 12:17 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

I still like my Amiga error messages best:

smile

Ah, memories.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

February 8, 2009 12:30 am

isim0n

Urchin

5 posts

The Aluminum Macbook is my first one. I'm never going back to PCs now. smile

Go here to get free stuff:
http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=989543

February 8, 2009 2:09 am
tempored

tempored

Automaton Tech

from California
150 posts

Back when I was a young'n I was playing around in the garage and found my Dad's old Quadra 800. I started asking questions and the next day he brought home his G3 from work for me to play around with. I was hooked. Right now I am using a 15" Macbook Pro with 4 Gigs Ram and a 500 Gig HD.

February 8, 2009 2:21 am
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

I bought a Dell DJ.  I tried Rhapsody and Napster and that whole PlaysForSure garbage.  I got sick of every time it synced I had doubles and triples of the same album.  Sold the DJ on eBay.

Then I bought an iPod.  The simplicity and ease of use.  Add the fact that, "It just worked."

I figured since Apple did so well with the iPod, surely they did as well with the Mac.  I decided to buy an iMac and learn something new.  So after using Windows for about 14-15 years, I was having my Jesus experience.

My iMac worked and worked well.  It never stopped.  It never blue-screened.  I didn't have to buy 3rd party applications to fill the holes that were left in the Operating System by the manufacturer. (AntiVirus, AntiMalware, blah, blah)

I am totally converted and I have even changed my work machine to an iMac.

No looking back.

Thanks to Dell and Microsoft for pushing me in the right direction.

/cheers Apple

Twitter | Get Dropbox

February 8, 2009 4:02 am
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

kalleboo wrote:

Never had a PC. Never considered one. My family has always been pure Mac, since my dad brought home a Mac Plus from work on weekends.

Same with me. Never used a PC literally, always been Mac

Wow. MacHeist 4. I can't believe it's actually happening.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

February 8, 2009 4:08 am
elphabapotter

elphabapotter

Gearhead

from Dallas, TX
55 posts

Windows and Internet Exploder and the desire for the Final Cut Studio. I had two laptops in the span of 1 year and 2 months - a toshiba satellite and a toshiba portege - they absolutely sucked. Aside from the hardware issues I was having (fans breaking, drives failing, etc) it was really Windows that did it. Also, I was sick of using Premiere for editing. At the time, it wasn't sufficing for what I needed. After spending about a week suffering from mactardation and severe buyer's remorse, everything clicked. I figured out that my MBP was more intuitive than I was and that we were in fact, a match made in UI heaven. I promptly christened him Apollo, for showing me the light.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." ~ Groucho Marx

www.hp2009.org
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD

February 8, 2009 4:47 am

chriscundy

Urchin

from UK
6 posts

Been using one ever since doing my University Degree!! The best choice I have ever made technology wise!! smile

Visit SudoCafe on Facebook to find and post deals!

February 8, 2009 3:25 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » What made you switch?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?