Forums

What is the one App you can't live without?

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » What is the one App you can't live without?
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

There are the standard answers: Adobe products, Apple products, etc.

But what is that one little application that you use regularly? One that was worth every penny.

Bannerzest Pro has saved me some time so I'd probably have to go with that.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

January 27, 2009 4:33 pm
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

308 posts

1password used several times a day

January 27, 2009 4:45 pm
Condawg

Condawg

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
373 posts

I wish I could start using 1password... I use the same password for everything, and it makes me feel sometimes as if it's a pretty big risk, but I can't seem to fit 1password into my workflow.

Anyway, my indispensable app is probably Skype. I use it as my telephone, and I'm using it all the time.

iTweet | Personal blog

January 27, 2009 4:49 pm
ddq5

ddq5

Automaton Tech

from Tennessee
254 posts

I'd probably go into withdrawal without Launchbar.
1Password is also an essential.

"Never lick a gifthorse in the mouth" -Timi
|| MacBook Pro 17" 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Late 2008 ||          [TWITTER/BLOG]

January 27, 2009 5:03 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

1Password

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

January 27, 2009 5:20 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

Pages. Yes, there are serious Pages users out there who use it every day and have it open 50% of the time they're on their computer wink

Edit: and proof that I can't live without it is that whenever I'm working on a computer without Pages (i.e. whenever I'm on a Windows machine), I feel like I've gone back in time to a period when text processing was frustrating. And that, to me, is like hell.

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

January 27, 2009 5:22 pm
fudrummer

fudrummer

Gearhead

from Atlanta, GA
53 posts

launchbar....got so dependent on it that I installed launchy on my work (Windows) machine.

Twitter Me!

January 27, 2009 5:23 pm

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

I dread using computers without:

1Password--I, too, used to use the same password for everything, but have since generated random, secure passwords for my bank accounts, etc.  Would be totally lost without it.

QuickSilver/Google Quick Launch--Wait, where are all of my documents and applications?  Don't know, cause I hardly look at folders.

Keynote '09--Awesome with iPhone remote app.

January 27, 2009 5:30 pm
markr

markr

Big Game Hunter

559 posts

Activity Monitor - used several times daily.
Apart from that .. Fluid

January 27, 2009 5:57 pm
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

it's a tie:

Launchbar: When i use other people' machines, they inevitably ask "what are you doing" (as i hit my hot-key-combo trying to open an app) - it's ingrained.

and Devonthink Pro (with DevonSearch): Information management, document storage, and integrated searching.

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

January 27, 2009 6:07 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

I'd probably say 1Password, but TextExpander runs a pretty close second.

January 27, 2009 6:50 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

Probably the Finder. Discounting that, Terminal. Discounting all system apps, Jumpcut.

January 27, 2009 7:20 pm
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,561 posts

Filestorm
Worth every freaking penny.  (Standard not Pro)

I don't think I've ever been so pleased with a purchase.

January 27, 2009 7:41 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

LaunchBar is pretty much it...that and 1Password. Like most people, I catch myself trying to hit ctrl-space to do stuff, and people are astounded when they see me working effortlessly with LB on my own Mac.

If we're not talking strictly apps, then it has to be SideTrack; the scrolling features are a God-send, and I often find myself sliding my fingers on other people's MacBooks only to find myself realizing that they don't have it installed.

It's truly sad that it doesn't work with the Unibody MacBook/Pro/Air/s - hopefully Raging Menace will come out with a fix soon.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

January 27, 2009 8:54 pm
Glo8al

Glo8al

Urchin

2 posts

Can't live without Dapplegrey/DosBox. Have only one game that I still play under dos (vgaplanets v3).
Pathfinder is another must have for me.

January 27, 2009 9:07 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Eventbox! Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and RSS in one app.

Other note worthy apps...
-Skitch/Littlesnapper
-Cha-Ching
-Launchbar
-Bowtie
-Anxiety

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

January 27, 2009 9:17 pm
Biiclops

Biiclops

Tinkerer

from Madison, WI
20 posts

LaunchBar for sure. I, like fudrummer, installed Launchy on my PC because I got so used to it.

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - W. Wonka

January 27, 2009 9:24 pm
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

1password. Don't know half my passwords anymore.

Wow. MacHeist 4. I can't believe it's actually happening.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

January 27, 2009 9:52 pm
hias

hias

Big Game Hunter

from Palermo
633 posts

Devon Think Pro and OmniFocus

January 27, 2009 9:56 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

1Password.

PM me | Twitter

January 27, 2009 10:05 pm
Dezful

Dezful

Automaton Tech

from Austin, TX
202 posts

Leopard mos def. Couldn't run anything without it.

On a more serious note it would have to be 1password without a doubt. After that Adium and Awaken.

"If I sit silently, I have sinned" -Mohammad Mossadegh

January 27, 2009 10:17 pm
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

another vote for 1password. I use it every day. Similarly, I use dropbox to keep 1password updated between my machines.

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

January 27, 2009 10:20 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

I'm used to WorkStrip, LaunchBar, PTH Pasteboard, and a few others. But I've learned that I have no "essential" application. On the other hand, I've acquired programs that I never use sad

Regarding 1Password, I love it, use it, and recommend it. But some of the functionality has been around for years with WebConfidential. I wish 1Password offered iCab support. I know it's part of their "to-do" list, but so far it hasn't been part of the recent updates.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 27, 2009 10:22 pm
cypher

cypher

Automaton Tech

from UK
479 posts

I'd be lost without these 3

Skitch
Launchbar
1Password

and since getting an iPod Touch, OmniFocus is now also getting a lot of use.

January 27, 2009 10:44 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

to many apps I love and use all the time to pick one

I just tried to think what I would miss most on my Mac if it was to go. The first thing that popped into my head was Spotlight. It was useless back when it was introduced in Tiger, so I used Quicksilver back then. But since moving to Leopard, its fantastic smile

I'm feeling old

January 27, 2009 10:52 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

artist-illustrator.net wrote:

to many apps I love and use all the time to pick one

I just tried to think what I would miss most on my Mac if it was to go. The first thing that popped into my head was Spotlight. It was useless back when it was introduced in Tiger, so I used Quicksilver back then. But since moving to Leopard, its fantastic smile

Be sure to check out HoudahSpot.
http://www.houdah.com/houdahSpot/

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 27, 2009 11:04 pm
bobbykartoon

bobbykartoon

Automaton Tech

from Vancouver
466 posts

1Password cool

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school" - Albert Einstein

January 28, 2009 4:17 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Probably: Default Folder X

also (in the worth every penny category)
Snap N' Drag, CheckBook Pro, Entourage

Thanks a Lot

January 28, 2009 4:28 am
Canisreevus

Canisreevus

Automaton Tech

from Flowood, MS
433 posts

Leap (a necessity, it's how I keep everything med school related organized)
then...
1password (not a necessity but a nice luxury)
MoneyWell (especially with 1.4, but waiting on time to do a new budget with my wife)

Get DropBox

January 28, 2009 4:39 am
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

Ethereal

January 28, 2009 5:31 am
lordmiss

lordmiss

Tinkerer

from Seoul, Korea
15 posts

xGesture
JumpCut

Launchbar and 1password of course!

January 28, 2009 6:30 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

Question: I'm seeing lots of people mention Launchbar on here...  Can some of you enlighten me as to why you use it over other launchers, like Quicksilver or Google Quick Launch?  I can't see that it does anything worth paying for, and frankly, it seems a lot worse and figuring out what I intend than the other apps are.

Just wondering if I'm missing some feature of Launchbar that makes it worth the cash.  (The integrated clipboard manager is nice, but again, there are free alternatives...)

Also, anyone know if academic pricing is available on Launchbar?

January 28, 2009 4:52 pm
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

308 posts

I use quicksilver/launchbar so much that I consider them part of the OS!

So I suppose 1password has to be my second best app.

suomichris: I got launchbar as a referral app for last years MacHeist. I doubt I would have bout it otherwise as Quicksilver works fine for me for free and is still heavily used on my laptop. I like some of launchbar's features such as creating 'best of' playlists etc in iTunes.

January 28, 2009 8:17 pm
zachary

zachary

Gearhead

from Tennessee, US
78 posts

Safari, 1password, and launchbar!

I know it is not one, but I don't knwo what I would do without them.

January 28, 2009 8:25 pm
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

suomichris wrote:

Question: I'm seeing lots of people mention Launchbar on here...  Can some of you enlighten me as to why you use it over other launchers, like Quicksilver or Google Quick Launch?  I can't see that it does anything worth paying for, and frankly, it seems a lot worse and figuring out what I intend than the other apps are.

Just wondering if I'm missing some feature of Launchbar that makes it worth the cash.  (The integrated clipboard manager is nice, but again, there are free alternatives...)

it's really just another one, not a ton of extra stuff over quicksilver, but definitely more stable for me.  I installed a bunch of plugins and used to have issues, it's slower than launchbar, and sometimes it would hang and crash.

the beta is available until march, so give it a try, see what you think for yourself.

My twitter

January 28, 2009 10:36 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

suomichris wrote:

It's been a very long time since I used Quicksilver. I've used LaunchBar since version 3. I don't recall a version 1 or 2, by the way.
For me, LaunchBar has been stable and fast. I don't think I'll upgrade to version 5 unless the upgrade is cheap. I don't need many of the features that version 5 adds.
Here are some features from version 4:

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/tips.html
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/features.html

I don't think they offer academic pricing, but you can use the beta as mentioned before, or they also offer a license for version 4 valid until March 1. Check their store.

LaunchBar was part of a bundle called Ten for X.
http://my.smithmicro.com/support/update … dates.html
It's the only program from the bundle that I still use. Prior to Leopard I also used FruitMenu, Xsounds and WindowShade.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 28, 2009 11:09 pm
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM

Automaton Tech

453 posts

Quicksilver. I use it hundreds of times per day, and it saves so much time.

Go GREEN!

January 29, 2009 3:58 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

iFart. If I don't fart three times daily I feel out of sorts.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 29, 2009 4:58 am

jfisher

Urchin

8 posts

I used quicksilver for two years before switching to launchbar. I just found it quicker and more stable. It never failed to invoke and find what I wanted and was just half a second faster. It seems like a long time when your fingers are flying as fast as your mind.

January 29, 2009 5:59 am
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

MultiClutch. It's a bit buggy (not in use, just in setting it up) but I can't stand going on someone else's laptop anymore and not having my custom multi-touch swipes! I set it up for pretty much every app on my machine.

Dropbox. I've got the 50GB account and only have about 7 gigs left! Only thing it really, really needs is support for syncing other folders.

I also wanted to say thank you to all of you picking 1Password! I would have picked it myself but it didn't feel right since I work for them. Means a lot though reading how much people love it, especially when I'm up 'til 4 in the morning working on it tongue

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

January 29, 2009 8:58 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

Ænima wrote:

MultiClutch.

I like their sense of humor.
"everytime-i-think-about-you-i-touch-my-cell" big_smile

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 29, 2009 10:28 am
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

Ænima wrote:

Dropbox. I've got the 50GB account and only have about 7 gigs left! Only thing it really, really needs is support for syncing other folders.

Not sure if you've already seen this - currently you can sync other folders using symlinks. There's even a symlink creator Automator app available.

See http://wiki.getdropbox.com/TipsAndTrick … herFolders

As a paying customer, you should try the above (if not already done).

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

January 29, 2009 10:35 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

1 Password and Launchbar.... OfficeTime close 3rd.

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

January 29, 2009 2:03 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Sometimes the really invaluable tools are the ones that are more behind the scenes. These often don't appear in your Dock so it's easy to forget them.

Here's a screenshot of my login items. Many of these utilities are things that I use several times a day, often without even thinking about it because they've become part of my workflow and using them are just second-nature to me now:

http://www.macheist.com/img/forums/LoginItems.png

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

January 29, 2009 10:55 pm
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

johnred wrote:

Sometimes the really invaluable tools are the ones that are more behind the scenes.

Indeed.
It would be hard for me to work without Spell Catcher, Grammarian, Application Wizard, etc.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 29, 2009 11:18 pm
BugSquash

BugSquash

Gearhead

from Houston
80 posts

1password or Quicksilver. I've also been using Process (thanks MH!) more and more, but it's not a necessity.

January 29, 2009 11:28 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

mil wrote:

Not sure if you've already seen this - currently you can sync other folders using symlinks. There's even a symlink creator Automator app available.

See http://wiki.getdropbox.com/TipsAndTrick … herFolders

As a paying customer, you should try the above (if not already done).

Yeah, I know. Symlinks are too much of a pain for me even with Automator. Dropbox is supposed to be all about simplicity and that's not simple (even if fairly easy).

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

January 30, 2009 8:19 pm
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:
johnred wrote:

Sometimes the really invaluable tools are the ones that are more behind the scenes.

Indeed.
It would be hard for me to work without Spell Catcher, Grammarian, Application Wizard, etc.

Didn't know about Spell Catcher - that looks really nice!
One would not even need text expander with this one...?

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

January 31, 2009 6:39 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

MintCreation wrote:
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:
johnred wrote:

Indeed.

Didn't know about Spell Catcher - that looks really nice!
One would not even need text expander with this one...?

Yes. I also have TextExpander, TypeIt4Me, Typinator, etc. Now I use Spell Catcher for that feature. Many people think it's just a spell checker, but it has many additional features such as statistics (Flesch-Kincaid, Fog), modifying text (uppercase, lowercase, removing spaces), etc. And it can be customized as well.
Support from Evan is great. I felt a bit embarrassed that Evan sent me a VERY thorough,  detailed response regarding an email I sent him. In his forum he also has defended alternative products, such as TypeIt4Me and TextExpander.

It is not perfect, though:
-It often disappears from my Menu Bar and the typical solutions have not worked for me. No big deal, since I only need to select it again and it gets fixed.
-DirectCorrect got to be a bit annoying for me, but that's brand new and Evan is open to feedback to shape this feature.
-"Lookup" sometimes picks up the wrong word.
-I guess that these days it would not be considered "Mac-like." It has many features, so to get the most out of the program it pays to spend a couple of hours going through its features, preferences, settings, etc.

Overall, I highly recommend it in spite of these issues.
Many years ago it was bundled with Grammarian, but later they became separate products. I use Spell Catcher most of the time, but still use Grammarian as well.

Look Ma, no teeth!

January 31, 2009 10:36 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

Spell Catcher is today's MU Promo application.

Look Ma, no teeth!

February 2, 2009 5:34 am
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » What is the one App you can't live without?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?