Forums

looking for a little help

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » looking for a little help
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

Whilst clearing out some junk, I found our old 'Open....' IR keyboard that was used with BSkyB's Open.... interactive TV service back at the end of the 90's.

http://img.skitch.com/20090202-r3up3nd58mqwgs4wsx388p59et.jpg

I bet you have already guessed what I'm going to ask now haven't you?

Obviously, I want to know if and how I can get this thing paired with my Mac smile

I've had a quick Google and come up with nothing as yet

any suggestions?

I'm feeling old

February 2, 2009 8:31 pm
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

Does your mac have a IR port? Some sort of finagling should be able to pair the two. Ill check with some of my blackhat peeps- they tend to excel at this kind of thing.

Han shot first.

February 2, 2009 11:15 pm
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

And while we are at it, Artist Illustrator also want to know how he can hook this baby up to mobileme...

http://img.skitch.com/20090203-p39bkfsw2cf9d3qwdgghcbxr2p.preview.jpg
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

wink

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

February 3, 2009 5:48 am
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

MintCreation wrote:

And while we are at it, Artist Illustrator also want to know how he can hook this baby up to mobileme...

http://img.skitch.com/20090203-p39bkfsw … review.jpg
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

wink

Haha, this one made me laugh.

Flickr

February 3, 2009 10:59 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

Apcs11 wrote:

Does your mac have a IR port? Some sort of finagling should be able to pair the two. Ill check with some of my blackhat peeps- they tend to excel at this kind of thing.

it sure does. and I use the Apple IR remote all the time and absolutely love it.  I thought that maybe Remote Buddy would see it, but had no luck.

I haven't been able to find any answers yet. Thinking it's gonna require more geek knowhow than I can muster up myself.

MintCreation wrote:

http://img.skitch.com/20090203-p39bkfsw2cf9d3qwdgghcbxr2p.preview.jpg
smile

that would make one awesome Skype handset! big_smile

I'm feeling old

February 3, 2009 1:52 pm
ne0

ne0

Automaton Tech

from 127.0.0.1
328 posts

I have one of these keyboards lying about 3 metres away... in a box marked - recycling...

sad how it never hit off sad

12p connection - then dialup for all the time online...

Team Orange!
twitter | digg | site

February 3, 2009 9:49 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

thought I'd give this a bump since there's a slew of new heisters around that might be able to help smile

i'd really like to get this thing working

I'm feeling old

February 14, 2009 8:03 pm
chowder

chowder

Automaton Tech

from NY
174 posts

What kind of Mac do you have?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

Be Aware Of The Dancing Bear!

February 14, 2009 8:10 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

chowder wrote:

What kind of Mac do you have?

24" iMac smile

http://img.skitch.com/20090214-dn59mdhhxjku6y11edtr4y14m7.jpg

I'm feeling old

February 15, 2009 6:30 pm
erniepc12

erniepc12

Automaton Tech

from Just North of New York
343 posts

Something to think about.  While the newer Intel Macs might have an IR port, Do they have the drivers to understand the keyboard?

It might be possible that it could work, so long as the basic keyboard drivers will accept input from the IR Port. 

If that works, then it would stand to reason that other IR wireless devices might also work, like for presentations...

I'm thinking faster than I'm typing, or it's the lack of sleep, but does that make sense for anyone?

http://ladder42.com/  Volunteer Firefighter for over 17 years.
Former Macheist team: "Green Monkeys™ "

February 15, 2009 6:35 pm
GrueHunter

GrueHunter

Automaton Tech

from The Great Underground Empire
133 posts

erniepc12 wrote:

While the newer Intel Macs might have an IR port, Do they have the drivers to understand the keyboard?

This is what I'm thinking. I'm doubtful that the keyboard will work even if you could get the computer to "see" it.

But if you do, that'd be pretty awesome.

Check the Bundle Sales Tracker.

February 15, 2009 6:39 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

I guess this is something thats harder to accomplish than I initially though it would be.

I'm feeling old

February 16, 2009 5:33 pm
hurrikenux

hurrikenux

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA
209 posts

GrueHunter wrote:
erniepc12 wrote:

While the newer Intel Macs might have an IR port, Do they have the drivers to understand the keyboard?

This is what I'm thinking. I'm doubtful that the keyboard will work even if you could get the computer to "see" it.

But if you do, that'd be pretty awesome.

It depends on what functionality is built-in to the IR service for the Front Row remote.  You could probably pair it much like you would a Universal-Remote to any TV, it would depend on if you could change the codes on the keyboard to correspond to what codes the Apple IR Port is looking for.  I'm not familiar with this product so I cannot be of much help.  I have played around with the programmable port located under the battery access panel on the Cable company remote and got it working at one point.  Then I had to give it back when I moved (reset to defaults, of course wink)

Lead Developer - hurrikenux Creative
http://www.hurrikenux.com
We have some things in store...

February 16, 2009 5:52 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

I am 98% sure that it won't work "out of the box".

IR transmitters don't all work on the same frequency, and even if they did, they're basically each speaking their own dialect of morse-code. So what you'd need for starters is an IR receiver that chats on the same freq. as the keyboard, and does no "intelligent translation" of the incoming message, but just passes the codes on. Then you could go ahead and decipher.

However, since the "Open" is a teletext unit, I'm very skeptic that it'll ever work smile

But then.. you may get lucky, who knows...

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

February 25, 2009 7:35 pm
zombyboy

zombyboy

Automaton Tech

from Denver, CO
184 posts

I have no idea whether it will ever work or not and no idea whether there is even a good reason to make it work, but if you do get it working you absolutely have to tell us how you did it. That would be cool as hell.

Loot is King.

February 25, 2009 11:44 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

gonna keep bumping this throughout MacHeist 3 in the hope that someone somewhere will have an answer

I'm feeling old

February 28, 2009 6:52 pm
meizlizard

meizlizard

Automaton Tech

from Cupertino
108 posts

I think the first step would be seeing how to get IR receiver data for use in an application. Then with some work you could read the blips send for each key press and code a program to recognize them. And I'm sure there's a way to get an application to send keyboard input.

It's beyond my abilities, but it is certainly possible.

Orange'you glad I didn't say banana?

March 3, 2009 1:09 am
tgage

tgage

Tinkerer

24 posts

One word Bluetooth.  Ditch the Blue Beast.

T

Proud member of the Orange team!
Live free or die!

March 3, 2009 7:22 am
n4thanl

n4thanl

Automaton Tech

from Denver
149 posts

What about this:

Open the baby up and find out how it works, then take an apple keyboard and solder the proper parts of its controller to the open controller. Viola! Instant(read: 18 hour) bluetooth keyboard that looks like the original.

The blibbet is watching you.
Save The Internet! Click here to find out how!!!
n4thanl@gmail.com
http://whatireadwhatiwrite.blogspot.com/

March 14, 2009 6:31 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

I found this: Sky Digibox Remote and Open Keyboard Decoder

Apparently its as program that performs a decode of the BSkyB 'Open' keyboard and BSkyB Remote Control Handsets.

nothing on the page means anything to me sad its beyond my understanding

I'm feeling old

March 17, 2009 12:26 am
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

I kinda told you it would include complexities wink

Although that which he speaks of isn't all that complex. What fascinates me the most is that they're using Manchester encoding on the data stream. That's what was used in MFM hard drives back in the day. It implies that whoever designed the keyboard actually gave data reliability a moment of thought - not a very common "issue" back in the 80's smile

I think you should just buy yourself one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/20306_PE079916_S4.jpg

And put it on display wink

Tends to look good and be a conversation piece wink

http://www.orku.net/~thor/skapurinn.jpg
smile

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

March 17, 2009 2:04 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

I think this is definitely a lost cause sad 

@WhiteFang That’s a very nice display. I could probably fill one with my Nintendo collection smile My better half would probably not be impressed though sad

Manchester code . . . . . . .  hmm Is that named after my home city? Does it have something to do with The world's first stored-program electronic digital computer, or "The Baby" as it was known?

most code makes my head hurt sad

pictures FTW! smile

I'm feeling old

March 26, 2009 8:01 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » looking for a little help

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?