Forums

Modern Warfare 2 in OS X via Cider

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Modern Warfare 2 in OS X via Cider
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

http://img.skitch.com/20091113-ta9rwbex4gw5u1tgr5u7t7umn3.png
Anyone doing this? Or have experience with Cider?

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

November 20, 2009 5:21 pm
DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

Get an xbox, they are made of win.

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

November 20, 2009 5:47 pm
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

Xbox is a win platform made of lose parts. tongue

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

November 20, 2009 5:57 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

Cider is just a Wine port. Why not use Crossover Games rather than an illegally hacked solution?

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

November 20, 2009 6:15 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Wasgo wrote:

Cider is just a Wine port. Why not use Crossover Games rather than an illegally hacked solution?

Cider is an illegally hacked solution?

TransGaming's Cider product is licensed to developers and publishers. Cider has ignited a Mac gaming revolution with the largest and most successful game publishers continuing to adopt Cider to bring their top titles to the Mac. With Cider, more top tier games have been released for the Mac in the last two years than ever before and Cider today is creating a paradigm shift, giving Mac users access to some of the biggest and best games.

They claim that EA, Ubisoft, Gametap, THQ, and Oberon use Cider. Help me understand.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

November 20, 2009 6:24 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

Scandalous wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

They claim that EA, Ubisoft, Gametap, THQ, and Oberon use Cider. Help me understand.

Cider is a legitimate version of Wine, but it requires a license to use. EA, Ubisoft, Gametap, THQ, and Oberon have licensed Cider to use for their game ports. What happens is that people take the licensed copies of Cider, remove the game they were licensed to work with and add a different game, like CoD:MW2 instead. This last step is what makes it an illegally hacked solution.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

November 20, 2009 6:29 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Wasgo wrote:
Scandalous wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

Cider is a legitimate version of Wine, but it requires a license to use. EA, Ubisoft, Gametap, THQ, and Oberon have licensed Cider to use for their game ports. What happens is that people take the licensed copies of Cider, remove the game they were licensed to work with and add a different game, like CoD:MW2 instead. This last step is what makes it an illegally hacked solution.

I see. Thanks for that. Was hoping that MW2 was actually licensed in Cider and that I just couldn't find it. Guess it's a waiting game now - or buy an XBox.

November 20, 2009 6:40 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

I like how he called COD4 a "native" port. That's so cute.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

November 20, 2009 6:50 pm
mud212

mud212

Big Game Hunter

from Dorothy's Oz
749 posts

Miah wrote:

I like how he called COD4 a "native" port. That's so cute.

Cute, or massively stupid?

November 21, 2009 12:46 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

I don't understand the snark. COD4 doesn't use Cider. It's a native Mac port, unless your definition of "native" Mac port somehow doesn't mean that it doesn't use a translation layer like Cider or CrossOver. Native Mac ports, or native Mac games for that matter, can be Intel-only without using Cider. Are you going to say next that Bioshock isn't a "native" Mac port because it doesn't support your Power Mac G4?

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 21, 2009 6:38 am
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

If COD4 doesn't use Cider, that's news to me. I never played COD4 and that article unto itself implied that Cider was involved, so...

Yeah yeah, assumption. My bad. :3

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

November 21, 2009 6:44 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Dirigible Captain

from Not here.
6,982 posts

I heard about this the day it came out but wasn't interested at all in the game so I didn't even care to try it.

Website | Twitter

November 21, 2009 2:21 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Miah wrote:

If COD4 doesn't use Cider, that's news to me. I never played COD4 and that article unto itself implied that Cider was involved, so...

Yeah yeah, assumption. My bad. :3

COD4: Modern Warfare IS a native Mac app. COD4: Modern Warfare 2 is not. At least, that is my understanding. I own COD4: MW, bought it as a direct download a few months back. If Cider is involved, it isn't mentioned, shown, or credited.

November 21, 2009 2:32 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

Native port - an oxymoron methinks.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

November 21, 2009 3:01 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

Native port - an oxymoron methinks.

Well, "native" in the sense that it doesn't rely on a translation layer, as I mentioned above. The same also applies to Linux "ports" which use Cedega, an earlier predecessor to Cider. Yes, COD4 does perform horribly even on Intel systems which are comfortably above the system requirements, but anyone who was a Mac gamer during the PPC days will tell you that poor performance was what was often seen for a lot of native Mac ports.

FWIW, from what I hear on the IMG forums, the port of Bioshock performs pretty well.

For people who really care about MW2, CodeWeavers is working on official support for it (which I guess they can concentrate on now after working to officially support Left 4 Dead 2). They already have rough support for MW2 in CrossOver Games 8.1.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 21, 2009 4:13 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Modern Warfare 2 in OS X via Cider

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?