Forums

Coverscout and Songgenie

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Coverscout and Songgenie

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

Well I have activated my coverscout 3 and it didn'y seem to activate my song genie and when I use the same code. I get this code has already been claimed. I assume you get both of them since they are a packaged download am I wrong or something. Any body else had this problem.

~Wesley

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 9:49 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

That's odd, not sure why the installer installs both apps but I do not think they are packaged.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

March 3, 2010 9:59 pm

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

See look at this. There is no option to just install one of them.

try to install it and go to custmize view I have a picture but I cant post it.

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 10:07 pm

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

Search for creamersrealm on flickr and look at the latest image.

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 10:09 pm
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

from Shreveport, Louisiana
1,123 posts

He's right, but just delete SongGenie if you're uninterested.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

March 3, 2010 10:23 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

I'm not impressed by the way CoverScout automatically installed SongGenie.

Underhanded techniques like this are unlikely to make companies friends. If I wanted to install/try SongGenie, I would have quite happily ticked a box (which was on view) indicating my consent.

I didn't consent (knowingly) to it being installed on my computer, and I don't think many people will see it and think "Oh, I know I didn't install it, but I'll buy a license for it anyway".

They're trying the same tactic as these "You have a virus" spyware things on Windows, and look what people say about the companies behind them...

Get Dropbox! 2.25GB free storage

March 3, 2010 10:25 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

EQUINUX?  ARE YOU LISTENING?

I just confirmed this.  Distributing two apps in one and making the user install both is not ethical.  In plain, simple terms, this is called a TROJAN.  I don't care if it's malicious or not, that's what it's called.

Now I have a question for MacHeist: How do I divert ALL of the percent of MY bundle purchase that went to Equinux to the charity instead?  This is absolutely unacceptable behavior by Equinux and has sealed the deal regarding my support of them in the future and makes me wish I never bought the bundle.  I will NEVER purchase an app by Equinux again until they eliminate their draconian registration system and stop doing this kind of stuff, and even then I'd be extremely hesitant.

If my words sound harsh, that's because they are.  I won't support a developer that does this, and neither should MacHeist.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 10:28 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

I saw a lot of complaints about Coverscout's activation process so I decided to wait and not to install it for now. And now the installer forces us to install another app? This is not nice, not nice at all.

How do you say goodbye?

March 3, 2010 10:48 pm

hoaggc

Urchin

9 posts

The activation process is quite simple if you already own an equinux product, such as iSale from MH3.  Just enter your equinux account credentials and paste the activation code into the box.  I don't remember that creating a customer account on their web site as being particularly onerous.

As far as SongGenie goes, I agree that they should have disclosed the install and made it optional, but dragging it to the trash is a viable option for getting rid of it.

March 3, 2010 10:55 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,733 posts

Some of these guys have only been here a few days and they are already bonding together to incite riots. It is amazing how quickly MacHeist brings the community together to produce drama smile

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

March 3, 2010 11:02 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

hoaggc wrote:

As far as SongGenie goes, I agree that they should have disclosed the install and made it optional, but dragging it to the trash is a viable option for getting rid of it.

But, whilst it is a viable option to just drag it to the trash, we shouldn't have to do that. The fact of the matter is they have broken our trust, and their actions could possibly have an effect on the reputation on MacHeist.

March 3, 2010 11:05 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

Some of these guys have only been here a few days and they are already bonding together to incite riots. It is amazing how quickly MacHeist brings the community together to produce drama smile

Can't complain about their energy! smile

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 3, 2010 11:09 pm

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

1. chrischasecranecook I love the sig let the good times roll.
2. I agree with the people above you bought Macheist for the software listed and nothing else. Songgenie is something else and it is completly useless without a license.
3. I am regreting even buying Macheist now that it came with a trojan on my computer.
4. If Macheist is going to sell EQUINUX software they should bundle on the core compoments needed by it and the the application and nothing else.

Honestly this is unacceptable from a great company and I to would like for all money that went to EQUINUX to go to the charity of my choice. (Enviromental Fund.)

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 11:21 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

The main issues I've found
1) They require your name, street, city, zip, phone number, email and so forth... when you already gave that info to macheist when purchasing, and already have an activation code.
2) The activation process is rather stupid (its all over the board)
3) Their SSL certifiate is mismatched or expired
4) Their FAQ links are dead namely "How do I activate?"
5) Ships products as an installer instead of simply a DMG with the app to be dragged.
6) Said installer has 3 items in it, the two apps and something that requests Root Access called Preflight.

March 3, 2010 11:28 pm
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

1,123 posts

creamers wrote:

1. chrischasecranecook I love the sig let the good times roll.

Thanks, I'm from Louisiana.

creamers wrote:

If Macheist is going to sell EQUINUX software they should bundle on the core compoments needed by it and the the application and nothing else.

I thought I'd mention that the download link provided by MacHeist is a replica of Equinux's. They do this to all their customers, and I doubt they'd like it if MacHeist went around editing their download files.

Still, it's ridiculous they bundle SongGenie in any of their CoverScout download links.

See, SongGenie is an app they just recently developed. They began an ad campaign at first to bundle the two apps together, so SongGenie customers also downloaded CoverScout and CoverScout customers also downloaded SongGenie. It appears they never ended this, but the original "Buy 2 apps for just $XX.XX" deal doesn't exist anymore, so, yes, they should fix this soon.

March 3, 2010 11:28 pm

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

Thing is I have actully have a use for song genie since I got some of my song from irippah on my Jb iPod.

Also I was in french and we learned alot about Louisiana.

Also equinux registration system is horrible it dosnt remeber anything I bought the iSale and it dousn't remember my license.

You would figure macheist would make a master dmg with the drag and drop for the apps to.

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 11:33 pm
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

1,123 posts

creamers wrote:

You would figure macheist would make a master dmg with the drag and drop for the apps to.

There's another one. I've actually been hoping for this for a while (this is the third MacHeist bundle I've participated in). I've always wondered why they don't just provide a master download link with all the codes beneath that on the My Order page.

March 3, 2010 11:37 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

chrischasecranecook wrote:
creamers wrote:

There's another one. I've actually been hoping for this for a while (this is the third MacHeist bundle I've participated in). I've always wondered why they don't just provide a master download link with all the codes beneath that on the My Order page.

Presumably because of apps being locked, although I suppose they could make a "Master" download link (which doesn't contain the locked apps) and then put those as separate downloads once they do become unlocked.

March 3, 2010 11:39 pm
GeekGuy1984

GeekGuy1984

Automaton Tech

from Washington
133 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

LOL big_smile

This is a triumph...

March 3, 2010 11:44 pm
Lostboy321

Lostboy321

Gearhead

from us
60 posts

I was pretty annoyed about the install process and with does it need admin rights? does it install any other crud. It seem like a pretty spyware tactic but I really wanted coverscout.

Go Orange!

March 3, 2010 11:45 pm

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

Actully they could go ahead and do the master download link because the locked apps just require a serial not a whole new file.

I know This is my third macheist to I want a master right now im putting every serial I own into appshelf.  (I have no life. I get excited by software.)

~Wesley

March 3, 2010 11:46 pm
narbertb

narbertb

Tinkerer

48 posts

If i recall correctly didn't iSale also have an app bundled with it?  Garage something or other?

Get 250 mg extra space by using this link https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMwOTc0NDY5

March 4, 2010 4:59 am

shaolinpunks

Urchin

2 posts

If only I had read this five mins beforehand I wouldn't have installed it sad
Will just dragging both apps to the trash just get rid of them?

March 4, 2010 7:03 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

narbertb wrote:

If i recall correctly didn't iSale also have an app bundled with it?  Garage something or other?

I don't know since I never installed it (I'm glad I didn't).  I honestly wouldn't be surprised though.  I checked the current DMG and it doesn't, but again, I personally wouldn't trust their software.  And I'm still waiting for an answer from them.

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."

March 4, 2010 7:05 am
DerBoss

DerBoss

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,067 posts

narbertb wrote:

Garagesale is bundled with GarageBuy (free) and I think GaragePay (shareware)

Click here to get Dropbox Storage for free + additional 250 MB

March 4, 2010 7:23 am
equinuxsupport

equinuxsupport

Developer

from South San Francisco
5 posts

Hey Guys!

We've bundled SongGenie with CoverScout because we believe they work wonders on your Music Library when coupled together. You can simply remove SongGenie from the applications folder at any time, but sure, we'd love you to try it out first!

Any questions, just ask!
equinux Support

We're here to help!

March 4, 2010 10:40 am
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

equinuxsupport wrote:

We've bundled SongGenie with CoverScout because we believe they work wonders on your Music Library when coupled together.

That may be true, but we only purchased one of the apps so the other is the equivalent of spam. Its on the same level as the crapware trials you get free on PCs. It seems a very PC thing to do, not Mac like at all.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

March 4, 2010 11:14 am
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

It is a shame it is CoverScout in the bundle and not SongGenie. A have lots of badly tagged music that SongGenie would be great for, but I am so picky with cover art that I use Google Images to do it all manually (I need precise square resolution to the pixel).

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

March 4, 2010 11:16 am
equinuxsupport

equinuxsupport

Developer

from South San Francisco
5 posts

CoverScout includes some pretty cool editing tools which can help you crop images just as you say. When you have found an image from Google Images (built-into CoverScout), you can click Edit and start perfecting wink

We're here to help!

March 4, 2010 11:38 am
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

@ equinuxsupport

can you explain the change in ID ver 1 and 3 in iTunes?

When you find album art does that change the version or is it only if you use SongGenie to update track info etc.?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

March 4, 2010 11:51 am

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

I want to use Songgenie because some of my Music is badly tagged to and Coverscout cant find of it without the Tags. But if your going to include songgenie you should atleast include a serial key for it or atleast give us the ability to add the tags to the music and not just list them.

~Wesley

March 4, 2010 1:38 pm
Wacholderpolka

Wacholderpolka

Automaton Tech

from Germany
170 posts

I really like cover scout, great program, but it seems to do more than just copy covers to the library.

After using it, my iPod had to sync many more files than just the songs with new found covers.
Additionally there seems to be many more "Genre" types than before.
(And many english ones on my german system)

equinuxsupport: Can you confirm this?
Is the cover put into the file or the iTunes database?

Thanks for responding here.

Visit the best german Mac support forum

March 4, 2010 1:50 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,765 posts

It frustrates me that they are 2 seperate apps and that they are so expensive. There are a few other apps that do both fuctions for the price of CoverScout OR SongGenie. The abilities of CoverScout are much more advanced than the other apps, but the abilites of SongGenie are equivilent or worse. Just combine the 2 and make one app.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 4, 2010 3:17 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

izdale wrote:

It frustrates me that they are 2 seperate apps and that they are so expensive. There are a few other apps that do both fuctions for the price of CoverScout OR SongGenie. The abilities of CoverScout are much more advanced than the other apps, but the abilites of SongGenie are equivilent or worse. Just combine the 2 and make one app.

But then they wouldn't make 30$ more off this bundle big_smile

March 4, 2010 3:30 pm

Ricardo Nora

Urchin

3 posts

SongGenie is the next Macheist bonus?

appletweets.net

March 4, 2010 3:40 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

Ricardo Nora wrote:

appletweets.net

Who'd want it after their CoverScout experience?

March 4, 2010 3:42 pm
swessell@kent.edu

swessell@kent.edu

Automaton Tech

from Ohio
173 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
Ricardo Nora wrote:

appletweets.net

I'd want it! That app actually seems really useful.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 4, 2010 5:36 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
Ricardo Nora wrote:

appletweets.net

Remindes me of that old joke.
- Kids, I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is, we're gonna have shit for dinner. The good news is, there's lots for everybody.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 4, 2010 5:41 pm
coachE

coachE

Tinkerer

from Texas
36 posts

I bought this and love it.  http://polluxapp.com/

Bring on the Heist!

March 4, 2010 6:17 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

dan.palmer wrote:
equinuxsupport wrote:

We've bundled SongGenie with CoverScout because we believe they work wonders on your Music Library when coupled together.

That may be true, but we only purchased one of the apps so the other is the equivalent of spam. Its on the same level as the crapware trials you get free on PCs. It seems a very PC thing to do, not Mac like at all.

So you're saying it was not Mac like for Apple to include a trial cd of iWork in with the laptop I purchased?

I'm no fan of equinux and how they conduct some of their business but I get tired of the "Mac like" terminology being overused and applied to everything thus cheapening it by ridiculous comments like that.  Trial software being included has nothing whatsoever with something being or not being "Mac like".

<insert out-dated referral link here>

March 4, 2010 8:45 pm
majken

majken

Automaton Tech

from Los Angeles
181 posts

tech wrote:

So you're saying it was not Mac like for Apple to include a trial cd of iWork in with the laptop I purchased?

I'm no fan of equinux and how they conduct some of their business but I get tired of the "Mac like" terminology being overused and applied to everything thus cheapening it by ridiculous comments like that.  Trial software being included has nothing whatsoever with something being or not being "Mac like".

There isn't any thing wrong with trial software being offered, No one is complaining about that.

It's that the trial software is required.  You can't install CoverScout without also installing SongGenie.

Installing software doesn't give that Company the right to install anything else on your computer unless you've given permission. This is especially true if you're required to give the installer admin access. You have to ask the question, What else have they installed?

GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!

March 4, 2010 9:42 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

majken wrote:

Installing software doesn't give that Company the right to install anything else on your computer unless you've given permission. This is especially true if you're required to give the installer admin access. You have to ask the question, What else have they installed?

Well the mpkg has three packages within
coverscout3.pkg
coverscout3Preflight.pkg
songgenie.pkg

the small 102KB preflight file contains this as it's info.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.equinux.coverscout3.preflight.pkg</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>IFMajorVersion</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFMinorVersion</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction</key>
    <string>RootAuthorization</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagDefaultLocation</key>
    <string>/</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagInstalledSize</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRelocatable</key>
    <false/>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRestartAction</key>
    <string>None</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRootVolumeOnly</key>
    <false/>
    <key>IFPkgFormatVersion</key>
    <real>0.10000000149011612</real>
</dict>
</plist>

It doesn't seem to contain much data, the only thing that catches my eye is that it wants root authenication and comes with an Apple Code Signing Certification Authority file for the root user.

The only guess is that it runs this "Preflight" package which grants Coverscout the authority to access your iTunes library and make changes, course for this to happen you have to provide your root login via the popup dialog that it asks for upon installing.

Other than preflight it simply installs the two .app file to ~/Applications

March 4, 2010 10:03 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

equinuxsupport wrote:

Hey Guys!

We've bundled SongGenie with CoverScout because we believe they work wonders on your Music Library when coupled together. You can simply remove SongGenie from the applications folder at any time, but sure, we'd love you to try it out first!

Any questions, just ask!
equinux Support

And they also work wonders for you when users are tricked into installing two applications and then try SongGenie, not knowing it's a trial, and then some I'm sure buy it after trying to use it and realizing they've been tricked.  Correct?

If you want to include it, fine, but make it an optional install, and one that's off by default.  Heck, make a nice-looking page in the installer if you'd like encouraging them to give it a try.   I wouldn't have an issue if the program was included and gave me an option to install it; as a matter of fact, I probably would have just to try it out.  But seeing that the installer secretly forces it on the user was the last straw for me.  It broke my trust not only in the installer, but brings into question what you're doing with personal information as well.  This is why I'm glad I never installed iSale from MH3.

March 5, 2010 12:02 am

mastp@globetrotter.net

Urchin

1 posts

How can I activate this app? Why some make it so difficult to activate? Macjournal took few seconds. I can't find any room to write the serial number in CoverScout!!!

March 5, 2010 12:13 am
JH2071

JH2071

Tinkerer

from Japan
10 posts

I agree. Not a fan of the extra install, nor the registration hoops.

Moukolog: One Place I Write
Follow me on Twitter

March 5, 2010 2:45 am

creamers

Tinkerer

from Tn
20 posts

mastp

You have to have a equinox id and add it.

~Wesley

March 5, 2010 2:47 pm

business@lost-one.org

Urchin

2 posts

Yep, registration works well, I get.....

Username does not match with the rules.

So much for adding a equinox id.

Nice, glad I wanted this app. This sucks, I hope we get the monkey island app now or I will have wasted all my money on this venture.

March 5, 2010 4:21 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

majken wrote:
tech wrote:

There isn't any thing wrong with trial software being offered, No one is complaining about that.

It's that the trial software is required.  You can't install CoverScout without also installing SongGenie.

And I wasn't discounting that argument. 

Mine was about tagging things with the "not Mac like" moniker.

<insert out-dated referral link here>

March 5, 2010 5:11 pm

guzzlamiamor@hotmail.com

Urchin

4 posts

I agree they shouldn't have back doored SongGenie in. That being said, it looks like it works pretty good. I give Cover Scout props for making my life much easier. I have already applied high quality covers to dozens of albums that iTunes would not for various reasons. Just because SongGenie was already installed I gave it a whirl. I have a few thousand songs with missing info. I randomly selected nine songs, and it identified eight. The other was an obscure song from a compilation. I will go ahead and purchase because again, it is going to save me hours and hours of manual tagging.

Note to Equinox:

1. Never back door an app in with others. This is a bad idea. I don't really care because if I wanted to it would take me all of 2-3 seconds to uninstall (depending on how close my window is to the trash), but a lot of other people do.

2. You are correct that these apps work well with each other. Most people who are missing cover art probably have songs mis-tagged, and vice versa. Why not sell them as one app and lower the price? That would probably drive more sales.

In closing, some people seem to be blowing this way out of proportion. Is this the first time you have every gotten extra software from an install? Someone else mentioned that iWork trial. What about any PC purchased from HP, Dell, Sony, etc. Spend a whole day removing crapware or reinstalling. Also, these apps compliment each other. It is not as if they added iSale. Sure they are trying to use this bundle to pitch SongGenie. Look at the retail price of the Cover Scout app compared to the buck or two they are making off bundle sales. This is business and you don't stay in business long practically giving your apps away. If you don't like it just delete both apps and move on, but stop acting like someone killed your dog.

March 5, 2010 6:06 pm
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

From reading this thread I thought the activation was going to be painful and horrible. Instead, I found a nice little simple browser based process embedded in the application that required no stress at all and almost no time.

You have to realise that it is designed to make it easy for people who have used the trial to buy the app without finding their way around the internet. As this app is targeted most definitely at the non-technical user, this makes it a lot easier for them to buy the app and a lot less likely they will succumb to online fraud.

While it may take 2 minutes for technical users, and they may find that slightly annoying, they will get over it and I think it is a very smart move for the developer.

However, As we have bought only 1 app, I do nat agree with our apps folder being littered with other trials for stuff we don't own. If you want to show 1 ad when we first start the app then do so, but don't install it for me without asking.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

March 5, 2010 8:35 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Coverscout and Songgenie

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?